Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Coin of the Day

Macrianus

(1/2) > >>

mauseus:
Hi,

I recently picked up this coin of Macrianus. The syle of it (crude obverse lettering and staring eye) plus the field marks of crescent and star on the reverse makes it a bit more unusual.

Macrianus 260-1 AD
AR antoninianus
Secondary Eastern mint
Obv "IMP C FVL MACRIANVS PF AVG"
Radiate and cuirassed bust right
Rev "IOVI CONSERVATORI"
Jupiter seated left
crescent in left field, star in right field
RIC -Mattingly (Num. Chron. 1954) suggests that this is from a separate mint, striking at the end of the reign and being most prevalent for Quietus. Only a single example of this type was noted by him in the Gibraltar hoard. Göbl does not list an example of this type for Macrianus in his Gallienus tome and only a single one for Quietus.

Regards,

Mauseus

Rupert:
Very nice and very interesting indeed! Another point for a separate mint would be the metal: this coin seems to be almost pure bronze, while most antoniniani of Macrianus and Quietus are in fair quality silver, like my "usual" one.

Rupert

Diederik:
Very nice coin(s)! and very rare!
Mine shows the same amount of wear as Rupert's but has even more obvious a different style of lettering on the reverse:
IMP.C.FVL.MACRIANVS AVG. radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right / AEQVTAS AVGG. Aequitas standing left, holding scales and cornucopiae; star in left field. Mint of Antioch, RIC 5(b).
When other Forum members contribute pictures of Macrianus, this could develop into a thread worth saving for future reference....

Frans

mix_val:
Here's mine.  Hey at this rate maybe we can get all the reverses!  How many are there?

Diederik:
On antoniniani there are ten types in RIC and some variations on the theme, but I suppose that there are some more, due to their rarity. Mauseus' coin is a variant on RIC 9 (the crescent in the left field is not recorded in RIC).
Rupert's is RIC 11
Yours is RIC 12.

Frans

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version