Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Carausius Antoninian - reverse clasped hands?  (Read 253 times)

Offline kc

• Caesar
Carausius Antoninian - reverse clasped hands?
« on: August 16, 2022, 04:02:50 pm »
Hello,

Please help me to identify this Carausius Antoninian:

What is depicted on the reverse?

I read XVI AV I++M.

18/19mm     3.36g

Best regards,
kc

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
Re: Carausius Antoninian - reverse clasped hands?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2022, 05:01:37 am »
Hi,
Was wondering if the coin would appear on here. I was disappointed to miss this,  but a glitch at the end conspired against me.

It's not in the current volume of RIC,  but is a known type and so will be in the next one. There is a reverse die duplicate example in the Ashmolean collection in Oxford,  supposedly from the Colchester hoard but not noted in the original publication of the find in 1930.

The reverse is clasped hands and may just be a blundered,  irregular coin. I have seen discussions where the reverse is interpreted as VXI AV (Vxor Avg)  and pertaining to the wife of Carausius.

Regards,

Mauseus

All coins are guaranteed for eternity