Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Which Pius emperor?  (Read 405 times)

Offline Mahmud G

• Consul
Which Pius emperor?
« on: July 27, 2022, 05:26:30 pm »
Hello

A Roman brockage coin obverse with a legible “PIVS”, would you help about the emperor?

Sincerely

Offline Laurentius

• Praetorian
  • Laurentius
    • My Gallery
Re: Which Pius emperor?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2022, 03:12:19 am »
Hello Sincerely,

the spelling of the legend ending in "AX" is atypical for an Imperial Roman coinage.
I'm betting on a provincial issue of Caracalla shortly after the elevation to Augustus.
Maybe an "AEXX" from Alexandria. If possible, please include a diameter and the weight,
this makes it a little easier to determine. Even a tiny hint on the Rev could give the decisive clue.

br Laurentius

Offline Mahmud G

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2022, 04:27:44 am »
Hello Laurentius,

Thanks for your first comment on this coin, i couldn’t attach the reverse side due to the capacity; i will attach it under a new topic “which pius emperor 2” right now. The diameter is 25 mm and nearly 10 gr.

Sincerely

Offline Mahmud G

• Consul
Which Pius emperor 2
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2022, 04:29:10 am »

Offline Laurentius

• Praetorian
  • Laurentius
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2022, 05:23:42 am »
Ok, I see it now, thanks for the attachment. An overstamp during the embossing process.
According to what can be seen from the obverse, it is probably a provincial coinage of Caracalla.
In this case an AE25.

For example, Elagabalus also had the surname "PIUS", but I think Caracalla fits the portrait better.

have a nice Day
Laurentius

Offline Mahmud G

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2022, 07:48:24 am »
 Then I record it as Caracalla.

Thank you very very much for the information.

Best wishes.

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2022, 01:00:56 pm »
Hi MG,

I am a moderator of this section of Forum. I merged your 2 topics regarding this coin.

Meepzorp

All coins are guaranteed for eternity