Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Medieval, Islamic and Crusader Coins Discussion Forum

Medeival Coin References

(1/6) > >>

Follibus Fanaticus:
Recommended References:

Elio Biaggi.  Monete e Zecche Medievali Italiane, dal sec. VIII al sec. XV.  Montenegro s.a.s. Edizioni Numismatiche di Eupremio Montenegro, Turin [Torino]. 526 pages.  Almost all coins photographed.

This contains all Italian coins in CNI between 800 and 1500.  Some coins, true, fall through the cracks; example coins of Pope Hadrian I [772-795].  The book does include a coin Charlemagne struck at Rome between 798 and 800.

If you want a quick, handy reference for this epoch and area in ONE volume:  THIS IS THE BOOK.  That said, it's hard to get.  The telephone number in Torino is: 011/562.19.30 and the fax number is:011/54.48.56.

The sales tag plastered on to my back-cover says:  Montenegro s.a.s. L. 250,000.  I have no idea what it costs on today's market.

Follibus Fanaticus

Robert_Brenchley:
I have JJ North, English Hammered Coinage, unfortunately in an old edition (1960). I do have access to a more up to date ed. though, at least for Vol. 2!

irish:
I too am very interested in this subject, and I thank you for introducing it.  I especially need guidance in and for Medieval islamic issues, as well as middle/eastern/western european 1200-1500AD.

I use now:
Malloy/Preston/Seltman -- Coins of the Crusader States.

R. Ratto, Monnaies Byxzantines.

Though these are generally considered Byzantine references, they both include a wealth of data about the very earliest medieval coins of certain regions, and during a time of great flux and turmoil, as well.

I am totally in the dark concerning references for medieval islamics, but have picked up a few ideas at this board already and they are going on the wishlist post haste.

My wishlist for Euro-Medievals is summed up in this note from Jim Roberts, himself an author on the subject, who was kind enough to reply to one of my emails in depth:

I hope you get a copy of Grierson's overview book, "Coins of Medieval
Europe" if you don't already have it. It's the most authoritative work
that's currently available on medieval coinage, and it does a pretty good job of illustrating the most important types -- not just the unique museum  pieces but also the common coins that collectors run into all the time. The more detailed volumes in his "Medieval European Coinage" series are essential for any area you want to know thoroughly, but the less expensive reference works will satisfy most collectors.

Dannenberg (a 4-volume set) is such a basic reference, covering all the
Germanic territory up to the mid-12th C.; that set you should try to get a copy of, whenever you can find one that is available inexpensively. For the next period of Germanic coins you need the Bonhoff catalog, which is still available from  the auction house, Dr. Busso Peuss Nachfolger Muenzhandlung, Frankfurt/Main (ask for Katalog 293). For later coins you arrive at the Saurmasche  Muenzsammlung, which I have put online. 

http://someoldcoins.org/saur/

The medieval coinage of all of the other european countries (except Italy and France) are covered by single-volume reference works that are readily available. For France I have to recommend my own work, "The Silver Coins of Medieval France", which actually goes far beyond the boundaries of France and covers all of the time periods from the end of the Roman Empire up to the year 1610 AD. Unfortunately my book is too expensive for the casual collector, but you can get a copy of it (and of Dannenberg as well) from the ANA's mail-order library, if you choose to become a member of that organization.
With best wishes...

- Jim

James N. Roberts

The Silver Coins of Medieval France (Attic Books Ltd., 1996)
http://users.rcn.com/j-roberts/ (Medieval Islamic coins, 1997)
http://someoldcoins.org/saur/ (Medieval German coins, 2004)

Varangian:
What would the best reference be for Viking-era Scandanavian coinage?

Thanks!

Paleologo:

--- Quote from: Varangian on July 31, 2008, 05:13:56 pm ---What would the best reference be for Viking-era Scandanavian coinage?

--- End quote ---
Malmer, B.: Nordiska mint före ar 1000. Lund 1966.
For Norway:
Ahlström, B./Brekke, B.H./Hemmingsson, B.: Norges Mynter. The Coinage of Norway. Stockholm 1976.
Schive, C.I.: Norges Mynter i Middelalderen. Aalborg 1974.
For Sweden:
Lagerquist, L.O.: Svenska Mynt, under Vikingatid och Medeltid (ca 995-1521) samt Gotländska Mynt (ca 1140-1565). Stockholm 1970.
For Denmark:
Hauberg, P.: Myntforhold og Udmyntninger i Danmark indtil 1146. Kopenhagen 1900.
Also:
Jankuhn, H.: Haithabu. Ein Handelsplatz der Wikingerzeit. Neumünster 1986.

References taken from the Catalog of the De Wit Collection Part I, auction Kuenker 121 of 12-13 March 2007.

As to Biaggi, the pros have already been mentioned. The cons are an amazing number of mistakes and omissions, disappointing pictures and the tendence to assign degrees of rarity in a purely random fashion. Still cannot do without anyway, as shown by the fact that it can only be found at auctions, usually for no less than 300 €.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version