Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Five ancient bronze coins - Similar but not the same - can you help please?  (Read 1420 times)

Offline 186

• Praetorian
I have put five coins up together because I believe that something on one might help I.D. the other.

I want to say Kushan, but really, they could belong anywhere.

Can you help me please?

They are all around AE 12.5 mm, and weigh up to 2.3 gm.

I am not 100% certain that I have them all the right way up, either.

Offline 186

• Praetorian

Doesn't anyone have any ideas that might help identify these coins?

Online Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
Regardless of whether your coins are associated with each other in origin, the rule is one coin per thread. :-\

Offline 186

• Praetorian

I am sorry Arados. I did check the rules prior to posting my thread and Rule number 1. DOES say . . . . .

1.  ONE COIN PER POST.  Do not post groups of coins unless you have a group of coins that are all the same exact type.

I DID think that all of the coins were the same type, (a type being all hemiobols, or all denarii, etc.)
I feel that the phrase " . . .all the exact same type." is open to interpretation, however, if my understanding is incorrect, I do apologise to the members.
My mistake was inadvertent, and,  I am not alone (see "A fistful of coins . . . ")

If members are not contributing because of this, please tell me how do I fix this?

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
A denarius is a denomination, not a type. What exactly a 'type' is is indeed interpreted differently by collectors and though I can't tell for sure for the first two coins, your coins may well be the same type according to my definition.
Andreas Reich

Online Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
My personal interpretation of same type would include, city, obverse/reverse and if applicable weight, size and denomination.

They could possibly originate from the same city, unfortunately from your photos it is practically impossible to be 100% sure, hense one coin per thread. However to be fair, i can see similarities between coins 3,4 and 5.

Also one can see a tamgha monogram far left on coin 1 indicating possibly Kushan.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity