Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Caesarea Maritima Serapis Caracalla?  (Read 1304 times)

Online v-drome

• Caesar
Caesarea Maritima Serapis Caracalla?
« on: September 03, 2013, 08:41:34 pm »
Hi. Here is a coin I think is of Caesarea.  Kadman has similar coins for Caracalla, Elagabalus, and Severus (70, 82, and 89), but either the obverse inscription or radiate crown differs for each.  The closest reference I could find was a coin listed as "Rosenberger 54", but I can't see enough of the inscription to be sure.  Another possiblity is SNG ANS 794, with the same problem.  The reverse appears to be double-struck, adding to the difficulty.  Any information or ideas would be appreciated to confirm the reference.  Thanks, V-drome.

Caesarea Maritima
Caracalla, or Elagabalus
Obv: IMP CA(E)?
Radiate, draped and cuirassed? bust right.
Rev: COL I F(L AV)?
Bust of Serapis facing right.
AE 20mm. 9.43gm. Axis:0
(click on picture for larger image)

Offline Snegovik

• Caesar
Re: Caesarea Maritima Serapis Caracalla?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 10:24:52 pm »
According to SNG Palestine, legends on the coin of Caracalla are IMPCMAVRANT... AND COLIFLAVGFCCAESAREA (#794). For Diadumenian, MOP.DIADUMENIANVS... with the same reverse (#801, probably, not your coin). None are listed for Elagabalus and Sev. Alexander, but on other types of the coins of Elagabalus the obverse legend is IMPMAVANTONINUS. hopefully, that helps.
Illegitimi non carborundum

Offline Maritima

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 03:14:39 pm »
according to L.KADMAN it can be caracalla ,Trebonianus gallus and Hostilianus In my opinion all Portretrs look like  caracalla and all Comes in bad Condition
to be  Identification to the roler I have a few They all look similar
{There are some errors in Kadman Caesarea book}

Online v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 12:10:26 pm »
Thank you Snegovik and Maritima.  That will help narrow my choices.  The coin looks very much like the second example above, and the letters seem to match quite well.  Best Regards, V-drome

All coins are guaranteed for eternity