Antiquities > Egyptian Antiquities

Faience amulet of a reclining lion

(1/2) > >>

vanter:
What´s represent this amulet of a reclining lion? some god?

Russ:
 IIt's very crude, even abstract. It could be a lion. I doubt if it is a sphinx. If I had to guess, it would be a lion.

Russ

vanter:

--- Quote from: Russ on December 15, 2012, 03:09:38 pm --- IIt's very crude, even abstract. It could be a lion. I doubt if it is a sphinx. If I had to guess, it would be a lion.

Russ

--- End quote ---

Ok, but what´s the significat of a lion reclining? why the egyptian people used this amulet?

Russ:
Hi Senatus,

1.     Petrie, W.M.F. Amulets, London, 1914: page 45, No. 219, Plate XXXVIII, 219 a to j, especially f and g - states "to guard or defend" by whom or against what he does not say.
     2.     Andrews, Carol.  Amulets of Ancient Egypt. Austin, Texas, 1994: pp. 64/65 writes "One, always of glazed composition, has a suspension loop on the spine and never has a decorated base. It may be of significance that most are late in date, for in a Late Period papyrus a spell against snakes requires the words to be said "over a lion of glazed composition threaded to red linen."
     I hope this helps.
Russ

vanter:

--- Quote from: Russ on December 15, 2012, 09:06:37 pm ---Hi Senatus,

1.     Petrie, W.M.F. Amulets, London, 1914: page 45, No. 219, Plate XXXVIII, 219 a to j, especially f and g - states "to guard or defend" by whom or against what he does not say.
     2.     Andrews, Carol.  Amulets of Ancient Egypt. Austin, Texas, 1994: pp. 64/65 writes "One, always of glazed composition, has a suspension loop on the spine and never has a decorated base. It may be of significance that most are late in date, for in a Late Period papyrus a spell against snakes requires the words to be said "over a lion of glazed composition threaded to red linen."
     I hope this helps.
Russ

--- End quote ---
Thank you!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version