Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Alexander?  (Read 562 times)

Offline Nemonater

• Caesar
Alexander?
« on: January 20, 2012, 05:37:13 pm »
I'm posting this coin for a friend. 4.25g, 15mm. The coin was in a PGS Certified case that said it circulated during the time of Alexander the Great. These coins are way out of my area of knowledge.  Could anyone help with attribution?   Thanks

Lloyd Taylor

Re: Alexander?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 06:22:33 pm »
I suspect that you mean PCGS (Professional Coin Grading Services) rather than PGS (Professional Gem Sciences, Inc.)?

If so, then it would have come with an attribution from PCGS accompanying the certification. What is it attributed as?

Offline Minos

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 06:24:52 pm »
It's a coin from Thrace, Maroneia. Not exactly from the time of Alexander (400-350 BC). See one similar here...

http://www.acsearch.info/record.html?id=234694

Offline Nemonater

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 07:34:40 pm »
I suspect that you mean PCGS (Professional Coin Grading Services) rather than PGS (Professional Gem Sciences, Inc.)?

If so, then it would have come with an attribution from PCGS accompanying the certification. What is it attributed as?

It was given with just the coin in the case, no paperwork.  The case easily pops open so I didn't trust the attribution.

It's a coin from Thrace, Maroneia. Not exactly from the time of Alexander (400-350 BC). See one similar here...

http://www.acsearch.info/record.html?id=234694

Thanks!

Lloyd Taylor

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 07:44:30 pm »
So much for certification and PGS (whoever that it is).... Alexander the Great didn't reign until 336-323 BC so a ca. 350 BC date linked to his name is complete baloney. He was only six years old at the time. As for the coin circulating during his lifetime maybe, maybe not. Who knows? But nothing like the name of Alexander to assist in a marketing and sales pitch!

Offline Jaimelai

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 08:07:11 pm »
A little before Alexander's time, but still a nice coin similar to mine:

Maroneia, Thrace 
400-350 B.C.
Bronze AE15
3.01 gm, 15 mm
Obv.: Horse prancing right, ΠNK monogram below
Rev.: MAΡ-ΩNI-TΩN inscription around linear square containing vine, YE monogram beneath
BMC p. 129, 66; Sear 1636

All coins are guaranteed for eternity