Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Aulus Ambatus, Prefect of Zama Regia  (Read 667 times)

Offline 425galba

• Praetorian
  • I love this forum!
Aulus Ambatus, Prefect of Zama Regia
« on: October 02, 2011, 08:38:21 pm »
Can anyone give a reference for this coin of Africa? It was initially identified as Colonia Babba Campestris, Mauretania of Aulus Ambatus but I found him under prefect of municipium of Zama Regia, 27/26 BC. I can find reference to him minting a coin with his portrait but is this the coin? The obverse is indicated as (CM. AMBATUS PRAEF ITER IVLIA), the reverse as (VACAX A TE TIRO AED). Any help for a reference would help. Also any idea of value.

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
Re: Aulus Ambatus, Prefect of Zama Regia
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 03:38:25 am »

SNGCop 752 looks similar, and says:
"(Zama Regia; Augustan period)"

Pekka K

All coins are guaranteed for eternity