Antiquities Discussion Forums > Fibulae and Clothing Items

Bronze decoration?

(1/2) > >>

ancientone:
27 x 18mm.  looks like pins were placed through material and then were hammered over.  Any help much appreciated.

Joe Sermarini:
Could be a belt tip / strap end, but the pattern is not one I have seen before.  Perhaps not ancient.

ancientone:
Thanks Joe. I bought it with a group of fibulae and in hand the patina looks old, but you may be right.  Regards

SC:
Likely a belt applique.  Similar ones can been found in Balkan detector lots.  Most appear to be post-Roman - Byzantine, Slavic, later medieval even Ottoman.  But I have no idea on this particular ne.

Shawn

taurisker:

--- Quote from: otlichnik on April 06, 2011, 06:39:56 am ---Likely a belt applique.  Similar ones can been found in Balkan detector lots.  Most appear to be post-Roman - Byzantine, Slavic, later medieval even Ottoman.  But I have no idea on this particular ne.

Shawn
--- End quote ---

... what´s about applications for horses bridles/harnesses??
Perhaps medieval belt ends and/or applications on sword scabbards, or something else. The ornaments style points in direction byzantine or medieval Europe. The 'serrate' end on the bottom side of the piece looks to me like a brockage. Can´t see this detail clear enough on the pic, but maybe it´s a fragment? Due to the incomplete decoration details this seems possible.
Regards

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version