Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Alexander Drach- Genuine or Fake?  (Read 882 times)

klairday

Alexander Drach- Genuine or Fake?
« on: April 24, 2010, 03:40:16 pm »
I am new to collecting, and had I known this site existed, I probably would have left ebay alone. However, I have placed a bid with someone I know now to be notorious for listing fake coins (artifactsuk). I am trying to figure out if I should withdraw, but would like to have an opinion on the piece I am looking at.

Real or Fake? I am not trying to use this site as an authentication service. What I did was jump into something I knew very little about, and now I am afraid I am putting money into something that is worthless. Should I withdraw my bid and forget it?

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: Alexander Drach- Genuine or Fake?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 04:09:13 pm »
The coin looks low-grade and probably genuine but I'd withdraw my bid anyway.
These people are crooks and I would not want them to have my money. Make use of the fake seller list now that you know it exists.

Andreas
Andreas Reich

klairday

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 06:52:22 pm »
Areich,
Thank you for your opinion. I just discovered this site actually, and it seems to be full of people who know what they are talking about. I do not collect to resale later on; I collect because I love the history of this period in time, and relish the idea of owning a piece of it. Now that I have the resources of this site, and an opportunity to purchase coins here, I don't think I will be using ebay anymore. Thanks,

Kevin

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 07:03:01 pm »
Kevin welcome.  It's funny but many times you can buy nice real coins for cheaper then some fake or low grade coins go for on ebay.  Check the Forum catalog and Auctions here on this site.  There some good deals to be had.  Forum actually sells on ebay so education is key...know who you are buying from and what you are looking at.

I agree with what Areich said.  Withdraw the bid...why support a Notorious Fake seller when you can give your money to someone who has the same passion for history and coins as you do?  And Forum as all [REMOVED BY ADMIN] dealers stand by a code of ethics.  That doesn't mean they will never have a fake for sale, but at least you have piece of mind that it can always be corrected.

All the best.

klairday

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 09:02:22 pm »
I found Forvm store on ebay, so I am just going to stick with this from now on. I have been collecting US and foreign coins since I was a kid, but ancient coins are certainly far beyond my expertise. I appreciate the advice, and am very pleased that I have found somewhere I buy in confidence. That is a huge relief. Thanks to all.

klairday

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 09:26:27 pm »
Bid Withdrawn. Thanks for your help ladies and/or gentlemen.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity