Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: I'm confused !!! Help interpreting RIC  (Read 2815 times)

Offline jimwho523

• Consul
  • Virtuti melius fortunae creditur - Syrus, Maxims
    • My coins in Forums Gallery
I'm confused !!! Help interpreting RIC
« on: October 29, 2003, 02:43:58 pm »
I am trying to figure out the exact RIC on a Constantine II campgate. I'm using RIC, Volume VII, pg 519.

How do I interpret the mint mark section? at the heading is SMTSA, which I interpret as Sacra Monets Thessalonica, officinae A. Looking at RIC 157, it also shows officinae B, (delta), and E. Does this mean
A) in addition to SMTSA, there is a additional mark for the B, (delta), or E officinae ? or
B) the mint mark willbe one of SMTSA, SMTSB, SMTS(delta), or SMTSE

Facilis descensus Averno; sed ad auras evadere est labor! (The Road to hell is a easy one, it is the journey back that is diffulcult!)

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
Re:I'm confused !!! Help interpreting RIC
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2003, 02:49:48 pm »
Option B is correct.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline jimwho523

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2003, 03:10:21 pm »
Thanks, now for part 2

in the Obv section, for RIC 157, it lists 7(b4l.) which I take to mean, inscription 7 from page 518 (CONSTANTINVS IVN NOB C) and bust type 4 facing left? where would I find the description of b4?

Facilis descensus Averno; sed ad auras evadere est labor! (The Road to hell is a easy one, it is the journey back that is diffulcult!)

roscoedaisy

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2003, 03:17:38 pm »
B4 is the bust type, which you can look up in the busts section (dont know what page).  Probably Laureate, Draped and Cuirassed.

roscoedaisy

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2003, 03:18:39 pm »
Forgot to say B4l means Bust B4 but facing left instead of right which is the default facing if none is listed (B4 is facing right, B4l is facing left).

Offline jimwho523

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2003, 03:18:57 pm »
OK, I found the section that describes the bust type. The only question I have left is what does the footnote mean when refering to "NaH coins" ?

roscoedaisy

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2003, 03:41:54 pm »
I believe the "NaH" referred to is the Nagyteteny Hoard  but I am not 100% positive.

Offline jimwho523

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2003, 03:47:47 pm »
here is the coin. Thanks for all the help  :)

roscoedaisy

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2003, 04:04:41 pm »
Yep, looks like Thess-157 to me too.  Nice looking coin! :)

Roscoe

bruce61813

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2003, 04:45:52 pm »
In the sequence SMTSA , the A is the officina and can be replaced by the B,D, or E. Wact out for pellets and other mint marks.
  Other mints may put the officina first, Sissica, does this all the time.

Bruce

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2003, 11:52:22 am »
Jim:
The footnotes often refer to the museums or hoards in which the coins were found. So it may say something like "In V 3 with off. A, 4 with off. B".. In this case the "V" refers to Vienna (there is a list of these abbreviations right at the beginning of the volume) and it means that of that particular coin, 3 were found with officina A mintmark and 4 with officina B mintmark.
In the right hand column next to the coin reference, you also often see these abbreviations (V, L, NaH etc), depending on the volume.
To speed up your work identifying these (and other) coins, download my RIC lists (in excel format) from http://www.catbikes.ch/coinstuff.htm

Helvetica

All coins are guaranteed for eternity