Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Diocletian Mintmarks  (Read 1595 times)

Offline 284ad

• Praetorian
  • biberunt ut Gothi
    • My collection blog.
Diocletian Mintmarks
« on: July 17, 2009, 01:46:51 pm »
I just bought a new follis of Diocletian today from my local coin shop and upon getting it home have been quite confused by the mintmark on it (I'm usually strictly a Severan enthusiast so this is all new to me)

Every reference I find to this type of Diocletian has a letter to the left and either a letter or a star to the right of the genius yet mine has nothing to the right. I looked and could only find a coin of Contantius I with a similar mint mark denoting the 1st officina or the Trier mint.  Yet every coin of Diocletian from the 1st officina has the two symbols.

Anyone care to shed some light on this for me?

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
Re: Diocletian Mintmarks
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 02:10:51 pm »
According to Helvetica's lists, this should be RIC VI Trier 152a, rated S for scarce.

Bill
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline 284ad

• Praetorian
  • biberunt ut Gothi
    • My collection blog.
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 04:30:19 pm »
Thanks for the ID moonmoth that helps.

Though I'm still intrigued as to why have different mint marks for the same officina of a mint.

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 05:59:41 pm »
The marks often changed from issue to issue over the period of a year or two.  Presumably the mints wanted to be able to see, not just which workshop had produced a coin, but which production run it came from.

Bill
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

All coins are guaranteed for eternity