Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: M.AVRELIVS - Complete ID ?  (Read 3397 times)

Offline Rugser

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
M.AVRELIVS - Complete ID ?
« on: August 18, 2003, 07:25:58 am »
I of this dupondius of M.Aurelius do  out :

D/  ..ANTONINVS AVG TR P X.......
R/.......... IMP V (?)I COS III

I need your help for complete ID.
Also I need  the RIC  number and rarity.

Thank you
ser

Offline Rugser

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
Re:M.AVRELIVS - Complete ID ?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2003, 07:26:49 am »
D/

Offline Rugser

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2003, 07:27:22 am »
R/

EmpressCollector

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2003, 08:14:07 am »
I think it might be:
Obv: M ANTONINVS AVG TR P XXVII, laureate bust, right.
Rev: RELIG AVG IMP VI COS III SC,  Mercury standing left, holding purse and caduceus, rooster l. at feet.
RIC 1072; BMCRE 1462; Sear 5041;  Cohen 533.

You can see the rooster on your coin on the ground below the C in SC :D
javascript:swapOptions();
I am unable to find a photo of this coin online anywhere, but here is a denarius from here at FORVM with a similar reverse:

Offline Rugser

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2003, 10:18:16 am »
Thank you much EmpressC.,  your reference is precious.
Thank once more.

ser

EmpressCollector

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2003, 08:01:53 am »
Sear actually mentions something quite interesting about the Marcus Aurelius coins with Mercury reverse types, RIC 285 (denarius pictured above), RIC 1075 (sestertius) and RIC 1072 (your coin).  He says

"The temple of Mercury stood on the northern slopes of the Aventine, near the Circus Maximus.  It was of very early foundation (495 BC) and is known to have been still standing in the 4th Century AD.  Its depiction on the coinage of Marcus Aurelius seem to be related to the 'miracle of the Thundering Legion', an event which took place in the territory of the Quadi during the course of Aurelius' Danubian wars.  At a moment of crisis in the midst of a battle the hard-pressed soldiers of Legio XII Fulminata were refreshed by the rain accompanying a violent storm, the thunder and lightning terrifying the barbarians and putting them to flight.  This phenomenon was officially ascribed to the intervention of Mercury, who had been invoked by an Egyptian priest, but Christian soldiers serving the legion also claimed credit on behalf of their religion."

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2003, 03:34:16 pm »
Presumably that's where the legion got the name Fulminata.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

EmpressCollector

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2003, 04:16:23 pm »
Interestingly enough, my father-in-law gave me the Loeb Classical Library edition of Marcus Aurelius' Meditations, and the introduction states that he wrote books II and III while headquartered in Caruntum AD 171-173, fighting against the Quadi.  This coin was issued AD 173.

Offline Rugser

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2003, 07:00:15 pm »
I share your hypothesis.

This coin I have found near to the ancient village of Lorium where Antoninus Pius and dead and the family of the Antonini had origin.
It is note the tolerance and religiousness of first Antononus Pius and then of Mark Aurelius that surely Christians in the had them "enturage" family that Lorium lived in.

They in the territory of Lorium are many the testimonies of the first Christians of the II centuries and III... .the their presence and stayed favorite from the tolerance of Antoninus Pius and Marcus Aurelius that they for much time have lived in that territory.

The Christian presence was so much strong that many Christians came to bury their corpses in this territory.

The church from Rome knew and it that's why has done the famous false of the " Will of Constantinus" and it declared the territory " Patrimonium Sancti Petri" .

Also today has gone to "look for" in the territory of Lorium.  ;) ;)

ser

All coins are guaranteed for eternity