Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Valentinian !! Ric and Rarity rating, please  (Read 2379 times)

Offline jimwho523

• Consul
  • Virtuti melius fortunae creditur - Syrus, Maxims
    • My coins in Forums Gallery
Valentinian !! Ric and Rarity rating, please
« on: August 08, 2003, 10:14:44 am »
Valentinian II - AE2 (23 mm) 378-383 Siscia mint
Obv: DN VALENTINIANVS IVN PF AVG - Diademed, draped, and curaissed bust right
Rev: REPARATIO REIPVB - Valentinian II raising a kneeling radiate woman while being crowned by victory. in exe (?)sisc. Sear -4162 variant

The exergue is most likely ASISC, but I can't be 100% certain.

RIC and Rarity rating would be appreciated, Thanks

The patina on this one is dark green, thick and gorgeous, coin is much better than the scan.

Thanks as always, Jim
Facilis descensus Averno; sed ad auras evadere est labor! (The Road to hell is a easy one, it is the journey back that is diffulcult!)

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
Re:Valentinian !! Ric and Rarity rating, please
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2003, 10:40:00 am »
RIC 26b, common. According to RIC, the woman is turreted not radiate. turreted women seem to represent cities in many instances, so the image is probably intended as Valentinian restoring Roman 'civilisation' to some threatened city or region. Since never amounted to much at all as a ruler or a general its a bit of a con, but when did truth ever have anything to do with government propaganda anyway?
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

All coins are guaranteed for eternity