Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Medieval, Islamic and Crusader Coins Discussion Forum

COMPETITION FOR TRUE NUMISMATICS

(1/5) > >>

Rugser:

....from my garden....

Bronze- Diameter mm 27

Who is he?

Duration of the competition: 48 hours.

In 30 years I have only see 3 times this coins.
Before mine... one time in a friend of mine hand and one time in sale on " NUMISMATICA ARS CLASSICA.".... but perhaps it was the one of my friend.
Whoever has seen this coin other times is begged to tell me where  he has seen it.

ser  8) 8)

Rugser:
R

LordBest:
It wouldbt be one of those barbarian Roman senate issues would it? 5th or 6th century or something. I thought i read somewhere they had SC on them... Then again, i dont know much about late Romans, especially this late. :(
                                                LordBest. 8)

the_Apostate:
Puzzling coin! The style is very good for its time or what I believe to be its time, but the celator might have been illiterate. All the most famous barbarian kings seem to be out of question: Genseric, Odoacar, Theodoric, Alboin and Alaric was never a king was he?

The sole man I with a fitting name that I can think of is Avitus, but he was emperor and never king as far I know and the letters read ...atus but if the celator wasn't good with letters that would be no problem -  ;)

Of course he wasn't king but I feel desperate...

the_Apostate:
If the SC means anything at all the coin should have been struck before 580-something when the senate last convened. This combined with the title rex on Italian ground would place the coin between 410 - 580 and probably somewhere in the middle of that but the victory reverse would not be wrong on a coin struck earlier.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version