Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: THEODOSIUS I or II  (Read 1859 times)

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
THEODOSIUS I or II
« on: April 03, 2007, 03:56:49 pm »
I have just added this coin (Reverse: VRBS ROMA FELIX) to my gallery. RIC says it is Theodosius I but other sources say Theodosius II. Can anyone please clarify exactly who it is please.  ???

Thanks,

Alex.

bakkar

Re: THEODOSIUS I or II
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 04:06:52 pm »
VRBS ROMA FELIX  is a reverse for Theodosius I
while it is VRBS ROMA  for  Theodosius II.

Bakkar

vic9128

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 04:15:24 pm »
"This type was originally thought to have been issued by Arcadius and Honorius in conjunction with Theodosius I, but it came to be realized that "Theodosius" was really Theodosius II. Thus it is included in RIC IX under the earlier erroneously attribtution with an erroneous early date (AD 394-395) and then again in RIC X with a corrected attribution and date (404-408, given on page 130)."

http://esty.ancients.info/ricix/type49.html

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 12:07:50 am »
Excellent!

Thank-you very much.

Alex.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity