Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: RIC for campgate  (Read 4454 times)

Offline OWL365

• Conservator
  • Consul
RIC for campgate
« on: May 19, 2003, 09:49:12 pm »
Help with RIC or SEAR for this campgate.
20mm Rome mint
Obv CONSTANTINVS AVG Helmeted Cuir. bust r
Rev VIRTVS AVGG 11 rows, 4 turret campgate  doors open. P/R in field
RT in ex  No stars above. Is this a rarer type.
What would be the value listing for this coin?

Offline Pep

• Magistratus Optima Lege VI
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery
Re:RIC for campgate
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2003, 10:25:08 pm »
Hello, the RIC for it is RIC VII Rome 185 (318-319AD).  That would make it laureate helmeted and cuirassed and RIC says there is no door (watch out for them barbarians :tongue: )  It is listed as R5 - unique (well, not anymore ;) ) but of course one should take that rarity quote cautiously nowadays.

Pep  8)

Offline OWL365

• Conservator
  • Consul
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2003, 10:55:03 pm »
It is Helmeted Laureate. Does the doors make it a barbaric copy? It matches perfectly with the examples at beast coins, except for the 4 turrets and open doors. The second T in the obverse looks a little out of place(like it doesnt ft in the space)

Offline Pep

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2003, 11:00:01 pm »
No, I was joking - as in don't let the barbarians into the camp :) .  Sorry about the mix-up.

Pep  8)

Offline LordBest

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2003, 11:05:30 pm »
"Unique" In RIC is based on how many are in museum collections. Apart form teh fact its decades old, not all museums, or even many museums, will have the entire mintage of late Romans, so unnique late Romans are not particularly rare. ;)
                                              LordBest. 8)

Offline OWL365

• Conservator
  • Consul
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2003, 11:05:58 pm »
Ok , confused me  ;D Thanks for the help

jbaran

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2003, 11:47:11 pm »
Regardless of what 'unique' means these days it's a great coin.  A Crispus 4 turret campgate R5 sold for 435.00 last week.

Joe

Offline OWL365

• Conservator
  • Consul
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2003, 09:01:29 pm »
I didnt realize that a coin like this would go for so much. I thought probably $50-100 tops.

Jericho

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2003, 09:15:04 pm »
NICE coin owl, the open doors are good sellers.  BUT, I don't think this is a multi-$100s coin in my opinion.  Still, wish I had it.... was this a recent eBay acquisition by chance?  I was watching a similar coin but didnt bid.

Roger

Offline OWL365

• Conservator
  • Consul
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2003, 09:23:24 pm »
This came in a group of  55cent  uncleaned. It was totally smooth when I started cleaning it. Thought it might be a slug.
zap it for a little bit and the black crust fell away revealing this coin.

bruce61813

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2003, 09:47:58 pm »
there is one for sale on e-bay right now that is not as good as this one, it has a reerve on it and from the bidding it is more than $50 !!

Bruce

Offline OWL365

• Conservator
  • Consul
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2003, 09:59:24 pm »
Thanks all I'll watch it to see what it goes for. Only have a Van Meter and WildWinds for pricing reference.This board is a very good source of info.
Mike

Offline Pep

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2003, 11:19:38 pm »
After reexamining this coin, the RIC is now up in the air.  185 was produced by the S and T officinae while 190 was only struck by the fourth (Q) officina.  This was my biggest evidence for calling it 185.  But, the bust also looks laureate (D6), which matches 185 while 190 is D7 (only high crested helmet - bowl shaped).  The doors are now the sticky issue though.  I lightened my screen and stared at the scan and I do now see open doors (matches 190) instead of no door, sorry about that one.  Both coins are R5.  However, that is still two hits for 185 and only one for 190.  Of course though, that still makes it neither.  Another example of how RIC is great but not complete :-\ .

Pep  8)

TKE96

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2003, 12:33:33 am »
That is a beautiful coin! :o

All coins are guaranteed for eternity