Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Exergue Help  (Read 3225 times)

Offline Pep

• Magistratus Optima Lege VI
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery
Exergue Help
« on: May 19, 2003, 01:39:59 am »
Yes I know it's a Fel Temp, but I still like the ones that clean up very well like this coin here.  However, I can't make out the exergue.  My best interpretation is R(Omega)(Epsilon).  The Omega I am sure of as you probably are but the R would make it Rome and the Epsilon is an Eastern officina mark.  What is the correct reading of this exergue, or have I stumbled onto something very unusual?

Thanks,

Pep  8)

Offline Pep

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery
Re:Exergue Help
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2003, 01:49:53 am »
Here is the Obverse for those who do well in noting portrait styles between the different mints (something I hope to improve upon - there ought to be a website out there that shows various busts on these later coins and explains the stylistic differences)

Pep  8)

yafet_rasnal

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2003, 05:22:19 am »
Even if it would be better to have a better scan, just remember that Rome too used for a period greek letters in exergue.

Offline Jerome Holderman

• Caesar
  • My name is Jerome, and I am a coinaholic!
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2003, 07:23:23 am »
Are you 100% positive your Omega is not a wreath? It is so much larger than the other characters and to my eye the bottom appears closed. secondly I dont see any exergue listings using omega?

Just a thought?

Offline Jerome Holderman

• Caesar
  • My name is Jerome, and I am a coinaholic!
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2003, 07:26:23 am »
Also Omega is 800 right, dosn't seem to make sense in a exergue. ???

Offline LordBest

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2003, 07:43:32 am »
A wreath would make more sense if its Rome mint as well.
R(ome)/symbol/officina. :)
                                      LordBest. 8)

Offline Rugser

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2003, 10:43:34 am »
In ex =   R (wreath) Q

R = Mint Rome
Q = Officina IV^  ( Officina Quarta)

ser

Offline Pep

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2003, 03:06:51 pm »
Thanks all! :)  The symbol is a wreath that has some wear on it and as Rugser says the officina is a "Q", which is even clearer when scanned.  That puts it at RIC VIII Rome 310.  I just got this new scanner and am still experimenting with the settings (this coin and the last one I posted are the first items I have ever used this scanner on - which already works easier and produces better scans than my old one :tongue: )

Pep  8)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity