Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: SALVS REIPVBLICAE help with object in left field  (Read 1020 times)

InfiniteZero

SALVS REIPVBLICAE help with object in left field
« on: January 15, 2007, 05:09:29 pm »
I cannot tell what is in the left field of the reverse.  Can anyone help me with an idea for this coin? Also, any help with the legends and mint mark is appreciated as well...

thanks

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Re: SALVS REIPVBLICAE help with object in left field
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 07:06:24 pm »
Hi!

I think the obv. legend matches DN VALENTINIANVS PF AVG better than DN THEODO - SIVS PF AVG or  DN ARCADIUS PF AVG. So it is an AE IV from Valentinian II.
The ex. seems to be ALE (+ offiina number). The symbol in the l. field could be a chi-rho. Then it would be RIC IX, Alexandria 20(a); C.30; struck 28 Aug. 388 - 15 May 392; common.

As symbols in the l. field occur chi-rho, chi-rho mirrored, cross and dot. The officina could be A, B, Delta.

Best regards

InfiniteZero

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 07:29:04 pm »
Can it really be a chi-rho
I thought a chi-rho looked like a P over an X,  :<a href='http://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?vpar=810&pos=0' target='_blank'>Chi-Rho</a>: 
This to me looks like a half moon, or crescent.   :moon:

thanks for the help.

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 07:49:19 pm »
Yes, you are right, I see it too! But sorry, I can't find a type with a C in the left field!

Best regards

InfiniteZero

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 08:46:00 pm »
thanks for the reply.  I just wanted to be sure you were seeing the same thing I was.

gus

All coins are guaranteed for eternity