Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Nice GLORIA EXERCITIS  (Read 852 times)

Offline Bamba123

• Caesar
Nice GLORIA EXERCITIS
« on: January 15, 2007, 01:36:49 am »
Ok, came across a coin in my "coins that need attention pile"  I mostly want verification I got it right and a question of grading a coin.  want to get to the point where I can help instead of asking endless favors.
I used a reference book on Constantine.  The coin:
Constantinius II
Obv. FL IVL CONSTANTIVS NOB C
B4 Bust, Laureate, Draped and Cuirassed
Rev. GLOR-IA EXERC-ITIS
Two soldiers standing, between them two standards

Exergue *SMKA (Cyzicus) 335-336
RIC VII, 113

Also, how would you grade this coin.  The scans are not as good as in hand, but represent it well.  I would (with massive amounts of inexperience) grade it VF to VF+
Would appreciate feedback on this.  As usual, thank you.  Jim
If all the world's a stage, I want to operate the trap door

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=1844

Online Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Re: Nice GLORIA EXERCITIS
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 06:06:02 am »
Hi Bamba!

You are right with your attribution, it is RIC VII, Cyzikus 113. Your coin is clearly from the 1st officina A and that officina is not yet listed in RIC! Only Gamma, Delta and S are known, but A was to be expected. All are very rare, so congrats!

The obv. is in a better state than the rev., so I would it rate VF/about VF.

Best regars

Offline Bamba123

• Caesar
Re: Nice GLORIA EXERCITIS
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 10:51:03 am »
Jochen, thanks the additional info is appreciated.  I haven't been doing this all that long and when I find a really nice piece of history whether rare or common it is a rush.  I am becoming addicted to this hobby, thanks for the opinion on grading that is still something I need to work on to become more accurate.  Again thanks Jim
If all the world's a stage, I want to operate the trap door

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=1844

All coins are guaranteed for eternity