Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Frog on mound of bronze?  (Read 1324 times)

Offline Marsha

• Consul
Frog on mound of bronze?
« on: January 14, 2007, 06:30:23 pm »
Appears to be a figure of a frog on a small mound of bronze..  coin??

14mm long, 10mm wide, and 7mm tall

Any ideas?

Marsha

Offline CANTANATRIX

• Consul
Re: Frog on mound of bronze?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 07:59:26 pm »
Not sure if it is a frog or not but it looks to me like an early Roman Republican bronze cast, or alternatively it could be a Greek cast early coin of Akragas in Sicily.
Hope that's some help,

Andy
"Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever." Aristophanes

"He is a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Offline Marsha

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 08:19:07 pm »
Andy -

Thanks once again...   You are a fountain of wisdom....

Marsha

Offline Gilgamesh

• Consul
  • I came, I saw, I'm still looking.
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 12:14:41 am »
 8) Looks very much like the "frogs" on Italian cast bronzes. The "roman republican" pieces have two possible candidates (not strictly Roman but definitely related).

1. Tudor (modern Todi in Umbria) Obv. Frog; Rev. Tortoise and dot (uncia); weight between 12 and 17 grams. T&V 163, Sydenham 'Aes Grave' 217.

2. Luceria, Apulia (modern Lucera in Puglia) Obv. Toad (or Frog?, I can't tell the difference); Rev. Wheatsheaf and dot (uncia); weight between 6 and 15 grams. T&V 285, Sydenham 'Aes Grave' 142.

Based on the size, these are the only two "roman" candidates.

T&V put the dates to 270-260 for the Tuder piece and 269-225 for the Luceria piece. Both are probably later based on the weight and some other arguments I won't go into; probably getting down to the period just before and after the start of Hannibal's 'Grand Tour'.

Can't help with the Greek connection; not my area. Did look up the books but no reference to Greek cast with Frog.
Every day I know less and less about more and more. Soon I expect to know nothing about everything.

Offline Marsha

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 09:14:47 am »
Gilgamesh -

Thank you for your detailed insight.  The Republic candidates seem like a possibility, except that this coin is a little light....  only 4.3 grams.     But I suppose....

Marsha

All coins are guaranteed for eternity