Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Not sure about this one....  (Read 1151 times)

Offline Marsha

• Consul
Not sure about this one....
« on: January 13, 2007, 09:25:40 pm »
One sided coin only

T2
RC

Any ideas?

Marsha

Offline Sap

• Consul
  • It's already tomorrow in Australia.
Re: Not sure about this one....
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 10:14:59 pm »
It's not ancient - our "Western" numerals - 1, 2, 3, etc. - weren't invented until the late middle ages.

I'd guess it's a token or check piece of some sort. It might even be a communion token.
I'll have to learn Latin someday.

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 10:25:32 pm »
Actually our "Western" numerals are "Eastern" numerals. They are called Arabian numerals but the Arabians have got them from India. They came to Europe around  AD 1200. Most important was the book "Liber abaci" of Leonardo da Pisa called Fibonacci AD 1202.

Best regards

canadian_boy

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 01:41:16 am »
And our common numerals are based on angles:
http://arabicnumerals.tripod.com/

Hermes III

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 05:37:06 am »
Hmm,

If the Indian is Indo-European....then the numbers would still be western.

;)

Bill

Manzikert

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 07:37:54 am »
Hi

I'm afraid his idea of the 'arabic' western numerals having the same numbers of angles as they represent doesn't hold up except for the typeface he is using, and only then for a continental european version which includes the barred '7'.

The numerals were originally written with a reed pen on parchment or papyrus and are totally cursive, several being without any angles at all!

The standard 'arabic' numerals are ١٢٣٤٥٦٧٨٩٠ but there are (for example) Indian variations ۱۲۳۴۵۶۷۸۹۰, so the seven and eight numerals only have one angle, and one and zero don't have any at all.

The Arabs were extremely significant in the history of mathematics, algebra etc., but coding the number of angles into a typeface to be used more than a thousand years into the future was (I think) a little bit even beyond them ;D

Okay, rant over, and (for anyone who has got this far) I think Marsha's object is possibly a coin weight: could you tell us what it weighs please Marsha?

Best wishes

Alan

Offline Marsha

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007, 09:43:10 am »
The size is 18mm and 4.3 grams....

Marsha

All coins are guaranteed for eternity