Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: GLOR-IA EXERCITVS  (Read 1113 times)

Offline Bamba123

• Caesar
GLOR-IA EXERCITVS
« on: January 13, 2007, 03:09:21 pm »
Ok hoping someone can embarass me again.  Have a really nice GLORIA EXERCITVSSharp little coin, my problem is the Obverse legend D N CONSTAN-TINVS P F AVG.  I have checked the tables, Wildwinds and several other reference areas and still have not found a match.  Two soldiers single standard.  The obverse legend was only used for Constantine II and Constantius II and neither has a matching coin.  It measures 16mm and a whopping 1.2g

Attached are scans.  The Exergue in hand looks like an SML (D or G) as usual any help will be appreciated.  It is really a nice little coin.
If all the world's a stage, I want to operate the trap door

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=1844

vic9128

Re: GLOR-IA EXERCITVS
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 03:14:23 pm »
the obverse legend means it has to be Constantine II. The exergue is hard to see, but maybe SMN(delta?), making your coin RIC VIII Nicomedia 5 (or the exergue is SMK(?) from Cyzicus)

black-prophet

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 03:19:10 pm »
Coin should be Constantine II.Your exergue is almost certainly from cyzicus.so SM(K)and then the officina A thru Sigma:or a crescent.The style also suggests Cyzicus which is a good way to peg down mints on common coins like this with many examples to compare to.

Offline Bamba123

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 03:21:04 pm »
Amazing and fast, can you point me to anywhere I can reference this type coin.  I have a limited amount of reference material and would like to know where to look in the future.  thank you again

vic9128

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 03:29:50 pm »

Offline Bamba123

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 06:37:42 pm »
I didn't find it there but found the RIC 08 Family of constantine and found the reference.  I appreciate it because I learned how to find the information, for that thanks.  But let me pick you brain just a little more.  I noticed that nicomedia had two others with the same obverse legend (6-7) they list as (H2) head only, laureate, (H4) Head only, rosette diademed and finally (H5) head only, laurel, rosette and diademed.  So you finallized on 5 because of the bust?  Again I am sorry for all the questions, but I want to become a contributing member instead of constantly asking questions.  Thanks and take care. Jim

vic9128

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 06:44:18 pm »
yours is a laureate bust-- going by Helvetica's, RIC 6 is pearl diademed bust and RIC 7 is laurel and rosette head, so neither can be yours. So from Nicomedia you have one choice. Of course I can't be sure of the exergue, your coin is from Nicomedia or Cyzicus. If the reverse legend is GLOR dot IA EXERC-ITVS, then it is RIC VIII Cyzicus 6. There are five other possibilities for the Cyzicus mint, but the point is moot unless you can make out the exergue.

Offline Bamba123

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 07:09:27 pm »
I just put it under the scope and I am pretty certain it is SMNA, again thanks for the patience.  Jim

All coins are guaranteed for eternity