Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Any hope with this worn 30mm coin?  (Read 3470 times)

Offline saholz

• Consul
Any hope with this worn 30mm coin?
« on: April 24, 2003, 09:17:10 am »
This heavy 30mm sestersus is badly worn and shows some corrosion.  The obverse is a bust facing right, the reverse is a standing figure facing left.  The few remaining letters of the rear legend are too obscure for me to recognize.  Does anyone recognize this coin?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Stan

Offline featherz

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • All Elagabalus provincials to me, please! :)
    • Aeqvitas.com
Re:Any hope with this worn 30mm coin?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2003, 10:48:38 am »
Elagabalus provincial, most likely moesia (Nikopolis ad istrum or Markianopolis), Demeter standing left on reverse. Maybe auto can piece out more of the legend for you, but I just woke up and my eyes are still fuzzy. :)

Here's a similar coin, but from Severus Alexander:

Offline Automan

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Silver and Gold? -Yuck!
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2003, 02:32:26 pm »
I'm practically 100% sure that the coin is from Philippopolis in Thrace! Two reasons, on the rev I think I can read "...POLEOC" which rules out Nikopolis and Markianopolis, and makes Philippopolis the prime suspect. Also I think I can read "NE" after  "POLEOC" which is the beginning of Neokoron, a title which Philippopolis held. The second reason is the portrait style, which very much matches an Ela from this city that I happen to own. So, 100 to 1 that it's from Philipppolis... ;D

Auto

Offline featherz

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Aeqvitas.com
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2003, 04:23:47 pm »
Yep, I had also briefly thought of phil-portrait style is similar, but I couldn't read the legend at all right when I woke up with my usual bleary eyes  ;D. So that sounds like a plan to me! :)

(now figure out MY Ugly coin! :P )

Offline saholz

• Consul
Thanks all...especially Automan!
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2003, 04:53:14 pm »
Just amazing.  I spent hours looking through every portrait in Sears and Van Meter and couldn't come up with anything even close.  I'm surprised you could get that much out of the reverse legend.  Well done!

I've got two more sestersii that have defied attribution and will post them soon.  If you guys can ID those I will be totally humbled....I bow to your superior intellect.  (Ala Ben Stein).

Thanks again.

Stan

Offline featherz

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Aeqvitas.com
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2003, 05:29:17 pm »
Sear (assuming you mean the Roman coin edition) and Van Meter won't help much here as it's a provincial (greek imperial) coin, not a roman sestertius.
Sear's Greek Imperial book can be very helpful -- even though it only has a coin or two from each city it can help a bit to narrow it down.

This one was easy to narrow down to at least Elagabalus, as he has that typical chipmunk cheek look here. :P

Heather

Offline Automan

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Silver and Gold? -Yuck!
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2003, 03:07:09 am »
I should perhaps also point out that the coin is not a sestertius, it's a 4 assaria. Only Moesia superior used the Roman nominal system, not Moesia Inferior or Thrace.

Auto

All coins are guaranteed for eternity