Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Medieval, Islamic and Crusader Coins Discussion Forum

Abbasid Fals

<< < (2/3) > >>

Nassif:
The mint name is composed [by 2 words] like is shown in marginal legend;personnaly i can see the large "Dal"of madinat whish is very different from 'Zein" of Ghaza in case of Ghaza mint,and this composed mint name is terminated by 'Mim"corresponding as salam.,and if it's really Ghaza coin what is the meaning of the 2 nd word,?it could not be Filastin=Palestine,for a very simple reason that it's a second mint name or a country name:like saying:Baghdad and Iraq...that's impossible.
Concerning "bakh" meaning ,i am really surprised that means "welfare" for 2 reasons:
-Arabic is my maternal language and this word is never used with any kind of meaning.In the Umayyad period,the use of "Tayeb"="Good" was very common,but nothing to do with "Bakh"in my opinion.
-Multiple Abbasids coins had "Bakh"mentionned several times on the same coin,so what's the meaning of that ??if it's really "welfare"no nead to repeat it several times on the same coins..one time should be enough...like "Tayeb"

nassif

a:
Thank you Husni and Nassif for very interesting information.

The Gaza mint is possible option because this coin was found in Ascalon. I suppose that the mint can be defined from the ornament type on reverse, even when the mintname is not so clear.  I'm right?

Regards,
Explorer

Nassif:
The mint in islamic coins as well in roman coins is usually minted,and can be only defined by reading and surely not by any other element.I posted one Abbasid coin with ornament,without  mint identification as you can see...that does not mean that ornament means Ghaza mint,and you have the nice coin posted to confirm it.
Regarding origin of coin,it's not a criteria for real identification;you can find a coin hundreds of miles far from it's origin;my Umayyads coins strucked in Palestine were discovered in Hamah region[north Syria]300 miles far from their origin.

nassif

bakkar:
Dear Nassif
THere is something called "the fabric" of a coin which reflects the geographical
area wher the coin is minted. . However, please see this drawing again and tell me wher
is the two parts of Madinat al-Salam.
Again "Bakh" or" Bakh bakh", means the welfare or prosperity to the state or
ruler.
regards
H.Bakkar

Nassif:
Dear Bakkar;
I don't know how to use photo shop to show you how it was written,but i can tell you that's is like that:
"Douriba bimadinat asalam sanat....",there is no "Douriba haza al fuls bighaza..."
It was  common on some small fals not to mention "haza al fuls.."
Concerning 'Bakh' word ,there is no mention in any arabic dictionary about it,that's why as i said before this word still very controversial.

This is my opinion,and i will be glad to hear all comments.
Regards.
nassif

PS;i posted one fals with full description where is no mention of "haza al fuls..."there is a lot others.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version