Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Pope SIXTVS IV (Della Rovere) 1471 - 1484  (Read 2246 times)

Offline Rugser

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
Pope SIXTVS IV (Della Rovere) 1471 - 1484
« on: February 17, 2004, 08:14:45 pm »
mm 19  -  mixture

I need reference and name of coin.

Thank

ser

Offline tacrolimus

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Why, oh why didn't I take the blue pill?
Re:Pope SIXTVS IV (Della Rovere) 1471 - 1484
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2004, 05:06:32 pm »
Ser,

i believe this coin is a "quattrino" struck by the mint of Viterbo since i seem to read S.LAVREN .... D. VI.....
Muntoni 67 or 68 (CNI 19 or 10).

Luigi
I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member (Woody Allen paraphrasing Groucho Marx)

Offline Follibus Fanaticus

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
Re: Pope SIXTVS IV (Della Rovere) 1471 - 1484
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 06:56:02 pm »
Ludwigv:

You neglected to tell us what’s really good about this coin.  It is a product of the mint of Viterbo, a small town perched on top of what looks like a butte out of Montana.

How can you tell it’s from Viterbo?  St. Lawrence, martyr, feast, August 10, is the patron of Viterbo.  He was roasted over a slow fire on August 10, 258, during the golden days of Valerian I [253-260].  What did he do to merit such a toasty death?  When the magistrate ordered him to deliver the Church’s treasures, he brought a flock of poor people into court and declared:  "These are the treasures of the Church."

The judge was not amused.  He was condemned to be fried slow.  While cooking, he held out a well done arm to the judge and said:  "Do you want something to eat?"  Valerian heard about this and was even less amused than the judge.

The King of Persia may have done the same thing to Valerian I in 260.  I wonder if the Emperor had a come-back-line as good as Lawrence from Viterbo’s.

Follibus Fanaticus
Follibus Fanaticus

All coins are guaranteed for eternity