Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Medieval, Islamic and Crusader Coins Discussion Forum

Medieval, Islamic, and Crusader COTD

<< < (4/15) > >>

lv88:
Hi Everyone,

It has been a while since anyone posted any coins in this section - Lets see more participation come on! :)
Anyhow, this is a coin that I send payment for just today:

Shaddadids, Al-Fadl I bin Muhammad Shaddadi, minted in Janza (Gandzak), 400 AH/1009 AD, month of Muharram.

Debased AR Dirham.
19mm, 3.06grams.

The Shaddadids were a minor Kurdish dynasty in Armenia, ruling in various places from about 950 to the 1170s AD. Most coins of this dynasty, with one or two exceptions are extremely rare. This type is the most common because large hoard of these [with exact ruler,date, mint etc...] was found in the early 90's. These types are usually in poor shape, and this one is in better than average shape. These debased silvers formed local currency in Armenia and the surrounding Transcaucus regions.

Album - 1491
K.A. Mousheghian. Monetary Circulation In Armenia No. 187.

i-xan:

--- Quote ---Yes they had half of population that was arab and also arab soldier of fortune in the army.
--- End quote ---

If you meant Georgia and Georgian army, then sorry, probably you were wrong. I'm deeply interested in Georgian history and know for sure that some arabs maybe were living only in Tiflis, of course not constituting half of population. and of course there were no Arab mercenaries in Georgian army, rather North-Caucasians.

Regards,
I-xan

Bogdan C:
Well, after ~8 years of collecting Wallachian and Moldavian coins, here are some of my favourite specimens:
-the first is a silver groschen (~20mm and 1g) issued by the Moldavian ruler Petru Musat (cca 1375-1391)
-second is a reformed groschen (~15mm and 0.5g) issued by the most popular Moldavian ruler, Stephen the Great (1357-1504).

Bogdan C:
The next two coins are:
-an excellent silver ducat of the Wallachian ruler Mircea the Elder (1386-1418), depicting ruler standing holding tilted spear;
-a (still) unpublished divisionary nominal (ban, AR 11 mm 0.28g) attributable to the Wallachian ruler Vladislav II (1447-1448, 1448-1456), the only known ban from this ruler.

I hope you enjoyed them  :)

lv88:
HI!

Nice pieces!

Best,
Levon

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version