Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Edward (III?) Penny London Mint Assist with SCBC and North Numbers  (Read 680 times)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Edward (III?) Penny London Mint Assist with SCBC and North Numbers.

1.380g, 18.1mm, 45 deg axis

+ EDWA REX ANGL DNS hVB (or similar, double struck so not clear, closed E's, wedge tailed R)
CIVITAS LONDON (closed C, Roman N's)

I have the references, but I really do not have the expertise to identify the SCBC or North numbers for this coin. The double strike on the legend is making it too much of a challenge. English coin experts, please help. Thanks.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Edward (III?) Penny London Mint Assist with SCBC and North Numbers
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2022, 07:44:31 pm »
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Callimachus

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2022, 09:53:58 pm »
Joe:

These links might help:

First: https://www.ukdfd.co.uk/pages/edwardian-Pennies/Edwardian%20Pennies%20P17.htm#Identification%20aids

Then: https://www.ukdfd.co.uk/pages/edwardian-Pennies/Edwardian%20Pennies%20P1.htm#The%20groups

Based on the first picture in the first link (will enlarge if you click on it), this coin may be Edward I or II.  Look at the crown.

My experience in these is limited to verifying what the dealer said it was. So at least I had a starting point.

Good luck.

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2022, 07:36:17 am »
Hi,
The double striking doesn't help. It is certainly not Edward III, the crown style is wrong.

I think this MAY be class XIa so Edward II. That would be North 1060, SCBC 1455.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2022, 08:43:04 am »
Thanks Callimachus and mauseus. I will post here if I think I have figured it out.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Online Anaximander

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2022, 11:25:00 am »
I see this Edwardian penny as Edward I, Class X, Spink SCBC 1409, 10ab2 or 10ab3; North 1038.

The double-strike makes it hard, and I was fooled for a while in my re-reading of the king's name as ЄDVVA'R (Edward Rex), but it really is ЄDWARD. In full: + ЄDVVARD R ANGL DNS hyB'

Diagnostic: the crown has bifoliate side-fleurs, so probably not class I to IX.  The W is made with two overlapping V. The R is hooked. The S is a "late" style.

That's my tuppence (2¢) on this penny.
Anaximander Barypous
Member since 2019.
FAC Member Gallery

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2022, 01:07:51 pm »
Thanks Chris. I agree. It appears to be a die match to the photographed SCBC 1409 - 10ab. I believe it is 10ab2. I listed it at Edward I, SCBC 1409-10ab2, North 1038/1.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity