Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Question on Protocol on Coins Lost in Mail  (Read 777 times)

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
Question on Protocol on Coins Lost in Mail
« on: December 26, 2021, 07:53:19 pm »
I think I probably know the answer to this or at least what my inclination is but thought I would see what you all think. I have a couple of coins seemingly lost in the mail. These are coming from Europe and I have dealt with the seller before and I always got the coins, even if they took a long time. The tracking number has the package arriving in New York International facility and moving to a location in New Jersey on November 18th. Nothing since then. I have no reason to suspect the seller of anything, so my inclination is just to suck it up and accept that I may never see them and I am out the money. It wasn't a ton of money, we are not talking big bucks. As far as I know, the package was not insured. Is this what you do when coins never arrive? I know I have seen posts here about coins lost in the mail. At this point, I expect they may never arrive, but I hope to get a pleasant surprise one of these dayss.

Thanks for any advice.

Virgil

Offline esnible

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • gorgon coins
Re: Question on Protocol on Coins Lost in Mail
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2021, 09:02:53 pm »
International tracked shipments have bar codes that look different from tracked US shipments.  Some clueless postal people neglect to scan.

I have had envelopes delivered and then received on the next day an email from the Postal Service saying not to worry, the package is still moving through the system!

I have had envelopes sent to the wrong post office, sent back to Europe, and returned to the sender, with no tracking updates after the arrival in the US.

After a month with no movement it is a good idea to contact the seller and ask if they can track it through their postal authorities.  This lets the seller know there is a problem without jumping to any conclusions.

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2021, 09:07:31 pm »
Did you pay with PayPal or maybe with a credit card ? With PayPal you can open a claim to get your money back until 180 days after the transaction. It’s not very complicated either with Visa or Master Card, you call them and ask for a chargeback for this transaction.
DT

Offline PMah

• Caesar
  • Qui risus classe devicta multas ipsi lacrimas...
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2021, 10:56:35 pm »
If you have copies of the tracking updates, bring them to your local post office and ask them to check.  This sometimes shakes the package loose from those import facilities or triggers email updates.
Be Well, Stay Healthy, Support your Local Numismatic Club

Paul 

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2021, 01:05:16 am »
Hi VH,

It is the dealer's responsibility to get the package to the customer. It shouldn't matter what country it was in when it went lost. If you never received the items, the dealer should compensate you.

Meepzorp

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2021, 06:24:04 am »
Normally a dealer should refund for a lost package, however, refunds may be limited by the stated guarantees and conditions of sale. For example, some dealer terms clearly state international shipping at your own risk.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2021, 04:27:49 pm »
Thank you all for your responses. Hopefully it will show up. I am in touch with the seller.

Virgil

All coins are guaranteed for eternity