Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Kabul AR Jital Kamaluka “Khudarayaka” Shahis  (Read 1070 times)

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
Kabul AR Jital Kamaluka “Khudarayaka” Shahis
« on: September 22, 2021, 05:18:46 pm »
Just won this one and am excited. Totally outside my area of collecting, except it falls into the fact I have very wide interests. I did a tour in Afghanistan and watching the botched withdrawal has triggered a lot of memories and emotions. It was where I bought my first tourist fake ancient coin that the fine folks in the Forum here explained was a cast tourist fake. Who knew there would be tourist fakes in a war zone. As an aside, I bought my first real ancient coins here at Forum. This medieval coin from Kabul and a beautiful coin on top of that. I had to have it, the ultimate impulse buy.

LOCAL ISSUES, Kabul. Shahis (Shahiyas). Kamaluka “Khudarayaka”. Circa 895-921. AR Jital (19mm, 2.97 g, 6h). śri khudarayaka in Nagari, recumbent zebu to left with symbol on rump; to left, star above pellet above crescent / Horseman right, holding banner; ma in Nagari to left; ’adl in Arabic to right. Tye 23. Toned, areas of flat strike. VF. From the Archytas Collection.

Anyway, just wanted to share this.

Virgil

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
Re: Kabul AR Jital Kamaluka “Khudarayaka” Shahis
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2021, 10:24:42 pm »
Magnificent coin Virgil.

Tracy

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2021, 10:41:29 pm »
Thank you, Tracy.

Virgil

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2021, 01:15:15 pm »
I responded to your other post regarding the Ghaznavids before I noticed this post. Nice coin, Virgil. Stkp

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2021, 04:12:53 pm »
Thank you. I love the design of both sides.

Regards,
Virgil

All coins are guaranteed for eternity