Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Is this Phrygia Synnada?  (Read 344 times)

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Is this Phrygia Synnada?
« on: September 15, 2021, 11:36:44 am »
Hi folks,

About 20 years ago, I purchased a coin from Mr. Lindgren. He attributed it as Moesia, Markianopolis. However, I highly doubt that attribution.

The reverse figure is described as Hermes because he appears to be holding a caduceus. However, the tip of the "caduceus" may just be some sort of surface issue. And it may be Zeus holding a sceptre and Victory. There may be another surface issue below the "Victory".

Here is a link to the coin (second coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/rp_moesia_mark_pt01.htm

I looked in acsearch. Coins issued in Phrygia, Synnada somewhat match this type. But I don't know if the legends are a 100% match.

Also, my example looks very crude, almost barbarous, especially the obverse portrait.

What do Forum members think?

Meepzorp

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
Re: Is this Phrygia Synnada?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 01:53:13 pm »
Probably a die match with this example from Marcianopolis

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=7775892

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Re: Is this Phrygia Synnada?
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2021, 07:43:18 pm »
Hi shanxi,

Thank you for the reply. I need all the help I can get.

The coin in the acsearch link was just posted a few months ago, and it is extremely rare. That explains why I couldn't find any similar examples when I did searches in the past, including when I originally posted my coin.

Meepzorp

All coins are guaranteed for eternity