Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: barbarian AE15?  (Read 558 times)

Offline carpatic

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
barbarian AE15?
« on: July 10, 2021, 03:42:39 am »
I appreciate your help with this one
15mm, 1.26g

Online Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: barbarian AE15?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2021, 12:16:59 pm »
Not a type I recognize.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline carpatic

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2021, 05:35:54 am »
It comes with a lot of low-grade late medieval French small coins ( from Francis I to Henry IV), so it could be from the region, but of course much earlier.
Could it be Merovingian, or maybe Burgundian, or Visigothic?
Not to exclude a very crude barbarous Tetricus or Victorinus...

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2021, 08:34:23 am »
Could it be Merovingian?

Hi carp,

It is interesting that you asked that question. When I looked at your photos yesterday, I thought that it may be a Merovingian coin. I didn't post my feelings yesterday because I didn't want to lead you down the wrong path (in case my hunch was wrong). When I read your post today (asking if it could be a Merovingian coin), I was startled.

Interestingly, a European auction house recently (a few months ago) had a silver Merovingian coin for sale. No one bid on it. I seriously considered purchasing it from his list of unsold lots because I always wanted to own a Merovingian coin, and I don't particularly care for gold coins (many Merovingian coins are gold). That silver Merovingian coin was somewhat similar to yours. The reverse depicted arms (weapons, shields, etc.). Additionally, the letter "V" appeared on that coin in multiple places. Coincidentally, your coin also has a letter "V" on the reverse (but it may also be an arrowhead). That is one of the reasons why I suspected that your coin may be a Merovingian coin.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2021, 08:52:44 am »
Hi folks,

Here are photos of the Merovingian coin that I mentioned above.

Meepzorp

Offline carpatic

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2021, 08:13:26 am »
Thanks for the support!
I've found various Merovingian coins but none comes too close to mine.
On the other hand, it is probable that some types are not well documented and not much exchanged in the market. To me, it looks like in the first picture I see a bearded face right, which even without seeing a crown could lead to a barbarous Tetricus or Victorinus, very stylized. Such as this https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces31119.html

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2021, 09:23:17 am »
...it is probable that some types are not well documented and not much exchanged in the market.

Hi carp,

I think you hit the nail on the head. Assuming that is true, it will probably be difficult to attribute your coin.

By the way, that is certainly true regarding the Merovingian coin in my photos. The dealer did not provide a reference number, and I couldn't find any similar coins in my internet searches (acsearch, etc.). So, I assume that means that the dealer couldn't find it in any of the Merovingian reference books (assuming he has any, I don't). If that is true, then that raises another question. How is the dealer certain it is a Merovingian coin? That question is one of the reasons I hesitated to buy it.

Meepzorp

All coins are guaranteed for eternity