Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: GALLIENUS TETRADRACHM  (Read 400 times)

Offline ChefStu22

• Consul
GALLIENUS TETRADRACHM
« on: July 08, 2021, 10:53:53 am »
Sorry guys this is another one I am struggling to pin down, whilst I'm asking about this coin does anybody know the best way to get rid of the green and to stop it coming back, as it stands it only affects two of my coins but it keeps coming back!!!!

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
Re: GALLIENUS TETRADRACHM
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2021, 11:00:02 am »
It's a year 14 like this:

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=32006

If the green material is coming back it might be bronze disease. Remove it an use BTA to avoid that it is coming back again.

Offline ChefStu22

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2021, 11:16:18 am »
Firstly thank you with the help with the ID of the coin trays perfect, and secondly I think that's what it is, sorry for my ignorance what is bta? Cheers Stuart

Offline shanxi

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2021, 11:19:03 am »
BTA = 1H-Benzotriazol

It's a  corrosion inhibitor for copper and its alloys. You can buy it as solution or solid.

Offline ChefStu22

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2021, 11:35:07 am »
Excellent thank you Shanxi

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2021, 01:03:05 pm »
Hi,

Word of caution, BTA is toxic and requires care in handling it.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline ChefStu22

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2021, 02:04:26 pm »
Evening Mauseus, yeh indeed after a quick look over the Internet its fair to it would to appear to need handling with care, have either of you guys had any experience in using it? Cheers Stuart

Offline shanxi

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2021, 02:23:59 pm »
I used it on some bronze coins after manualy removing the  bronze disease. The BD never came back.

I used a 3wt% BTA (1H-Benzotriazol) solution in pure (99.9%) Ethanol. You can also use water, but Ethanol wets the coins surface better. I simply put the coin for some minutes in the solution, then removed and dried it with some  absorbent paper. In the end the amount of BTA on the coin is so low that you don't see it.

Of course it is a good idea to use gloves and eye protection.

In winter you can also go to the next airport. BTA is one of the main agents in the solution for deicing aircrafts.  ;D
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_deicing_of_aircraft

Offline ChefStu22

• Consul
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2021, 03:15:29 pm »
Cheers I'll see what's available to order in the UK and take it from there cheers for the information and help :)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity