Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Celt-Iberian bronze #1  (Read 484 times)

Offline the10thlegion

• Consul
Celt-Iberian bronze #1
« on: June 21, 2021, 10:03:13 pm »
Some recently acquired coins were described as Celt-Iberian. I have looked online for a while and can't find any "Celtic" coins that look similar and have no reference material for anything Celtic. Four of them I think are probably the same or very similar in attribution. Two shown below:

The one on the left is 16.2 x 15.5 for long and short diameters and weighs 4.41 g
The one on the right is 18.1 x 16.4 for long and short diameters and weights 3.61 g

The obverse of both coins is a head right
The reverse of both coins is a figure standing (possibly left or head left but not for sure)

Regards,
John

Offline Mark Fox

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Celt-Iberian bronze #1
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 12:16:24 am »
Dear John and Board,

Both pieces look like issues of Iberian Cordoba:

https://www.wildwinds.com/coins/greece/spain/cordoba/t.html

You can even see a tiny indication of Cupid's left wing on the left example.  As to which varieties they are, I will leave that up to you!

Hope this helps a little.

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan 

Offline the10thlegion

• Consul
Re: Celt-Iberian bronze #1
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 09:22:29 am »
Dang Mark - Looking at the link I have to say you're spot on.
I should have tried looking under Spain rather than Celtic
Thanks, that's really appreciated.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity