Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help with this PROVIDENTIA AVG - Rome or Laodicea?  (Read 393 times)

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
Help with this PROVIDENTIA AVG - Rome or Laodicea?
« on: June 21, 2021, 08:26:44 pm »
I'm looking for help identifying this coin:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=170947

It is either RIC IVa 92a or 491a.  Both coins have identical obverse and reverse legends, so the difference would be only stylistic.  I've checked the plates for both coins in RIC, and I *THINK* it's 491a based on style.  The reverse rendering on the RIC 92a plate is lifelike, while 491a's plate is more stylized and anatomically disproportionate like my coin. 

RIC lists both types as common, and they both share the same Cohen number: 592. 

So basically I'm looking for attribution confirmation that this is indeed RIC 491a from Laodicea.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline septimus

• Consul
    • Monnaies de Septime Sévère et sa famille (193-217)
Re: Help with this PROVIDENTIA AVG - Rome or Laodicea?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2021, 11:44:48 am »
I'd rather attribute this denarius to "Laodicea" (IMP VIII transition from old to new style).

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2021, 01:13:34 pm »
I'd rather attribute this denarius to "Laodicea" (IMP VIII transition from old to new style).

Thanks for the confirmation - that is how I was leaning also.  Sometimes Laodicea coins can look a lot like Rome coins.

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2021, 07:51:34 am »
Absolutely Laodicea - new style IMP VIII

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2021, 11:40:38 am »
Absolutely Laodicea - new style IMP VIII

Stupid question - when people refer to new style vs old style - are the differences explained in any reference works?  I'd love to learn more about this.

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline septimus

• Consul
    • Monnaies de Septime Sévère et sa famille (193-217)
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2021, 11:37:54 am »
You can find explanations related to the style attribution in RIC Vol. IV, BMC RE Vol. V and also in R. Bickford-Smith (R.I.N. 1994-1995) "The imperial mints in the East for Septimius Severus..."

All coins are guaranteed for eternity