Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Ptolemy Bronze 20mm Dia Zeus Laureate (?). Identification would be appreciated.  (Read 822 times)

Offline coldavo

• Consul
Hi All,

I have a Ptolemy Bronze coming in the mail and I am having trouble identifying it.

It is 20mm in diameter and re the obverse, since I can’t find an Ammon horn, I presume that it shows Zeus Laureate. The reverse shows an eagle with open wings and left facing head.

I have checked Ptolemy and the other common sources and haven’t found similar but, when I enter the above details in PtolemAE Demo, it comes up with Svoronos 1183.

Being off-struck on the reverse the inscription cannot be verified. I am usually not lucky enough to get a scarce coin like Sv1183 and so presume I have gone wrong somewhere.

Would someone please help me identify the coin and put me out of my misery.

Stay Safe
All the best,so
Col.

Offline coldavo

• Consul

Now I'm not sure if it is a "Laureate"

Col

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
    • The PtolemAE Project - Ptolemaic Bronzes
Hi All,

I have a Ptolemy Bronze coming in the mail and I am having trouble identifying it.

It is 20mm in diameter and re the obverse, since I can’t find an Ammon horn, I presume that it shows Zeus Laureate. The reverse shows an eagle with open wings and left facing head.

I have checked Ptolemy and the other common sources and haven’t found similar but, when I enter the above details in PtolemAE Demo, it comes up with Svoronos 1183.

Being off-struck on the reverse the inscription cannot be verified. I am usually not lucky enough to get a scarce coin like Sv1183 and so presume I have gone wrong somewhere.

Would someone please help me identify the coin and put me out of my misery.

Stay Safe
All the best,so
Col.

Hi Col

And the weight is a secret?

Nevertheless there are two important clues given the coin's approximate size:

a. if it's 'laureate' there would be a laurel leaf wreath - and there is none so it's, by definition, not 'laureate' Zeus

b. there *is* a pretty clear Ammon horn (easily seen curving over the diadem) though its worn down a bit.

So it's Zeus Ammon with an open-wing eagle on the reverse and no mintmarks; a Series 3 hemiobol.

Svoronos 441 or maybe 444 or depending on what you decide the control mark is in the eagle's legs.

Easy to find on

ptolemybronze.com

PtolemAE

Offline coldavo

• Consul

Hi PtolemAE,

I was a bit limited by the lack of a known weight and the diameter of my coin was larger in diameter than the similar ones in ptolemy bronze (when I get the coin, the weight will help).

As per my second note - I had come to the conclusion that it was not a laureate but wasn't sure of any differences in how the laurel wreath might show up on the coins.

Once again thank you for the help - it is much appreciated.

Stay safe,
All the best,
Col

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
    • The PtolemAE Project - Ptolemaic Bronzes

Hi PtolemAE,

I was a bit limited by the lack of a known weight and the diameter of my coin was larger in diameter than the similar ones in ptolemy bronze (when I get the coin, the weight will help).

As per my second note - I had come to the conclusion that it was not a laureate but wasn't sure of any differences in how the laurel wreath might show up on the coins.

Once again thank you for the help - it is much appreciated.

Stay safe,
All the best,
Col

Sometimes dicey to attribute coins without knowing their weight, especially so with Ptolemaic coins that have designs that look almost exactly alike but in multiple sizes/denominations.

If you don't have it that explains why the weight is secret :)

Good luck with it - should be a piece of cake to narrow it down once you can see the control mark clearly, etc.

PtolemAE

All coins are guaranteed for eternity