Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Cotiaeum- Phrygia  (Read 1127 times)

Offline AlfaOmega

• Consul
Cotiaeum- Phrygia
« on: March 30, 2021, 12:51:12 pm »
Hello,
this ae 22 of Cotiaeum is a Pseudo-Autonomous.
Obverse: ΔHMOC KOTIAEΩN head of Demos
Reverse: EΠI ΔIOΓENOVC ΔIONUCIO A P X KOTIAEΩN where the letter P faces left.
I have only found one classification for this coin, but with the P to the right and it should be the SNG Cop ​​318, before classifying it as a variant, I would ask if you could help me.
Thanks

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Cotiaeum- Phrygia
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2021, 03:49:32 am »
A special feature of the coin here is that the city name KOTIAEΩN is not as usual placed in the exergue to be read from outside, but that it is part of the whole legend running around the coin and to be read from inside. I only found one additional example with this property: https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=6512322

I don't have access to SNG van Aulock or SNG Copenhagen, so I cannot check whether the references given in the link are describing exactly the type here or the usual variants (what I fear they are doing  :-\).

Regards

Altamura

Offline AlfaOmega

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2021, 09:30:04 am »
 :Thanks Altamura,
The coin looks like this to me, even if I don't see the side of the P of APX well.
A greeting

Offline esnible

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • gorgon coins
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 05:07:52 pm »
I have SNG Copenhagen and SNG von Aulock.

None of them have retrograde  :Greek_Rho:

I haven't checked, but GCAM (the former ISEGRIM) reports the following Cotiaeum Demos/Zeus types:

SLG WALCHER 2765
SNG MUENCHEN 24 313-320
SLG WEBER 7072-4
BMC 17 page 162 #20-24
SNG RIGHETTI 1165

When you cite your coin with retrograde :Greek_Rho: it is your choice if you want to say it is a variant or not.  You should use the "v" for variant if your coin doesn't match the description in the catalog, such as having a different abbreviation in the inscription or a different monogram or symbol in a field.  If the difference is something that is beneath the notice of the cataloger, such as spacing between letters or more complex drapery on the bust, you can skip the "v".

All coins are guaranteed for eternity