Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Titus denarius COTD  (Read 790 times)

Offline orfew

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historical Ancient Roman Coins
Titus denarius COTD
« on: March 24, 2021, 01:22:57 am »
Hi all, I am thrilled to add this rare coin of Titus to my collection. This is the first one I have seen for sale in several years at least and I could not let it go. The coin has some good honest wear and the portrait is quite interesting. However, the star of this coin is the reverse. The laurel trees on the reverse were also used on a coin of Vespasian (RIC 681). That coin is rare but not as rare as this one. The laurel trees on the reverse of these coins were used by Augustus on a denarius. There are other reverse types of Augustus that were revisited by the Flavian emperors. Augustus was an extremely popular emperor for many years after his death and there would probably be political advantages for the Flavians in making the link between their rule and that of Augustus.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-169308

Offline Parthicus Maximus

• Praetorian
Re: Titus denarius COTD
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 02:14:35 am »
Very nice addition, Congrats!

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 09:15:28 am »

Offline orfew

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historical Ancient Roman Coins
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2021, 11:14:50 am »
Thanks for the kind words

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021