Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: My Byzantine Solidus Gallery  (Read 1454 times)

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: My Byzantine Solidus Gallery
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2023, 11:32:06 am »
I assume that NGC is much better now than it was when the coin was slabbed but I would still add pictues of the other cast fakes with different weights and the small differences, to lower the chance  near 0% that it could be reslabbed as authentic.
There are still slipping fakes through NGC but it is normal no one is perfect.
You can writte Barry Murphy from NGC he is a member here and on different other boards, not sure if the auction house will accept it, if you start a topic on cointalk or in facebookgroup where he is very active and ask directly for the help of him in the hope that he will possibly feel honored and help, if he will condemn it, it is like a NGC condemnation.
Not sure how the auction house will react if the coin is now condemned by NGC.
If the weight of your coin and the slabbed on is identical and no visible differences between NGC pictures and your coin then they can hardly deny that it is the same coin. (If they want to cheat and say you have exchanged it with a cast copy).

This is a general problem that many dealers and even auction houses rely very much to NGC and their opinion and it than can be difficult to get the money back for a slabbed fake.
Some do not even authenticate coins anymore themself and only rely on NGC, for example smaller dealers, who are not familiar with ancient coins can now sell ancient coins because they do not have to authenticate them anymore themself.
For reliable authentication is much knowledge necessary, for correct attribution often a search with acsearch is enough.
I guess in such cases the only way to get the money back is resubmitting a slabbed fake to NGC with information why it is fake and using the new NGC condemnation to get the money back.

It is of course possible to recognize the authentic mother but for reliable results much better pictures or the coin in hand would be required.
I know my limits.
The authentic mother always has the sharpest and best details, some or all details can be recut into the casting mould but this recut details will not be as crisp as on a struck or pressed coin.
The authentic mother has the highest weight and size, shrinkage in mould of metal when cooling down, exception metal alloy has been modified for example metal with higher density used, flan shape modified or if edge cracks will be filled there will be extra metal on the cast fake not present on the authentic mother.
I would not dare to speculated which is the authentic mother because I am not 100% certain and I do not want risk to declare a cast fake to the authentic mother and so condemning the real authentic mother.

Online cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2023, 01:14:28 pm »
My most recent addition.... Tiberius III (Apsimar), 698 - 705 AD

Craig

Online cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2023, 03:11:52 pm »
I just wanted to let anyone who may be interested know that yesterday I received a check from the auction house for the full amount I paid for the fake Theophilus solidus

Based on discussions we had and emails we exchanged, I am under the impression that they covered the refund, without involving NGC.  They did mention that the "coin" would be melted down, I assume to at least recover any intrinsic value from the gold it might contain.  But it's also nice to know that this particular example will never again curse anyone's cabinet.

Craig

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2023, 05:29:23 am »
Thx for the update. I’m glad they took care of you.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

All coins are guaranteed for eternity