Antiquities Discussion Forums > Fibulae and Clothing Items

Bronze Age Celtic Cloak Clasp, c. 9th-3rd Cent BC?

(1/3) > >>

Mayadigger:
Ave!

Bronze Age Celtic Cloak Clasp, c. 9th-3rd Cent BC?

Copper alloy; 45mm/7.9gm

The ancient Celts loved sinuous forms and the smith who created this remarkably elegant and beautiful clasp was no exception.

Here's how it worked: the smaller end was sewn/affixed to one side of the cloak and toggle (not a button) was sewn to the other side of the cloak. The toggle was then used to close the clasp.

Please correct me is my attribution is incorrect.

Best regards to all.

Kevin

SC:
Do you have a source for that?  I have never seen such an item described anywhere in ancient literature.

SC

Mayadigger:
Ave Shawn,

--- Quote from: otlichnik on May 08, 2018, 08:19:58 pm ---Do you have a source for that?  I have never seen such an item described anywhere in ancient literature. SC
--- End quote ---

No.

My only resource for the artifact is my wife Sheri. LOL! Perhaps women understand better as to how such things work.

Honestly, Sheri looked at it and came up with our attribution for it in a single glance.

Do you have a better attribution? Please let me know. 

Best regards,

Kevin

SC:
I am uber conservative on this stuff.  Total guesses are OK, I do them too, but to me should be noted as such.

I only feel confident when I have an exact or extremely close parallel in documented literature.

May well be, though whether what you said or something different, and whether Bronze Age or 18th century has got to be tentative for now.

SC

Aleksanr B:
 Здравствуйте, я отвечу так как много раз встречал этот предмет, это колчанная застежка, хорошо изученный наукой предмет.

http://annales.info/skif/chernenk/bow3.htm

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version