Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Brass Gordian III provincial coin?  (Read 1295 times)

Offline Jacob D

• Legionary
Brass Gordian III provincial coin?
« on: January 10, 2017, 07:19:56 pm »
I received this coin in an uncleaned lot but am having trouble IDing it.  It looks to me like a Gordian III NICAEA provincial coin but i believe it is brass.  Is this right? I have seen some coins made from yellowy brass instead of the more coppery bronze but i don't know why I  can't find one think this unless I am wrong on what it is (which is very probable if not likely).  I included a photo of the side because it shows the color a little better I think.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Brass Gordian III provincial coin?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 07:30:47 pm »
Looks like your ID is correct.  Please post size and weight

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=1650307

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 07:48:05 pm »
These are found in brass as well as copper/bronze.  Not sure if there was an official reason for the difference, or if it was just expediency with whatever metal was at hand for this city mint

Anyone know if the brass/orichalcum signified a specific denomination with this Nicaean coinage?

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Jacob D

• Legionary
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 07:57:18 pm »
Thanks.  I though it was weird when I could not find a brass one for sale anywhere.  The other coins that I Have IDed I have not had a problem finding other examples of.

Offline SC

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 08:36:24 pm »
This Nicaean coinage is really odd.  Most 3rd early-mid century provincial coins types did not circulate widely beyond their proper city.  These Nicaea coins are an exception and are common finds in the Balkans hundreds of miles from where they were struck.  There was clearly something going on with a minting much larger than required by Nicaea itself.  So I am guessing they might have had to scrounge metal from where they could and sometimes used brass from melted down 2nd century sestertii.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Online Pekka K

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 02:14:13 am »
Not from Nikaia, but neighbor city Juliopolis.

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=194493

Pekka K

Offline SC

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 08:33:13 am »
Good catch Pekka!  Now that you point it out you can clearly see the lettering.  But I didn't look past the design....

These seem to be much scarcer that the Nicaea types.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity