Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Slavonian Denar - Rengjeo 184, ÉHSz#17 - László IV  (Read 778 times)

Offline Jan P

• Caesar
Slavonian Denar - Rengjeo 184, ÉHSz#17 - László IV
« on: September 06, 2022, 11:25:04 am »
@ Edward D
Today I found the exact references to the Denar, I bothered you for in your own nice topic, together with another picture of it.
See underneath:
So, my problem is solved. Do not mind it anymore ;).

Offline Edward D

• Caesar
Re: Slavonian Denar - Renjeo 184, ÉHSz#17 - László IV
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2022, 11:59:58 am »
Sorry for the delay. I worked the overnight shift through the Labor Day weekend. I do not have an Unger Sz 17 but have an Unger Sz 15. I tried Google'ing pictures of the Unger 17 and all of them had a pearl circle around the marten. Mine of course has SCLAVONIA but if yours has VNGARI on it I would have to agree about the Sz 17.

Offline somgabor

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2022, 09:27:40 am »
Hello, this is the related page of the Unger catalog.

Offline Jan P

• Caesar
Re: Slavonian Denar - Rengjeo 184, ÉHSz#17 - László IV
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2022, 11:38:50 am »
Hello "somgabor"!
Thank you very much for this great information +++
I made this handy size copy, to keep in my documentation:

Offline Jan P

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2022, 12:17:21 pm »
"somgabor",
Can you please tell me what the number 95 means at the upper right?
Initially I did not give it much attention, thinking of it as another reference, but then I saw that 70+ near another Denár.
Can it have something to do with rarety? I would not be surprised, because it is difficult to get a Sz#17 on screen, even when mentioning Bán István Babonich ::).
Surely the catalog can give the explanation.

Offline somgabor

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2022, 09:31:01 am »
"somgabor",
Can you please tell me what the number 95 means at the upper right?
Initially I did not give it much attention, thinking of it as another reference, but then I saw that 70+ near another Denár.
Can it have something to do with rarety? I would not be surprised, because it is difficult to get a Sz#17 on screen, even when mentioning Bán István Babonich ::).
Surely the catalog can give the explanation.

Hello Jan.
That number is a relative price of Very Fine coins in German Mark (DM) in 1996 when the catalog was printed. If you have an UNC coin that price rises up to 2-3x.
And consequently that price also shows the coins' rarity but it's not so accurate today because of the lot of finding by metal detector and different interest level of different coins. 95 is rare but not so unusual or unique.
Mostly today you can multiplie the Unger number by 500-1000 and you have the price in HUF but it's no so strict.
For example our first king I. István's (Stephan) denar has price 65 in Unger and today it's about 60000HUF or 150$ in market.

Offline Jan P

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2022, 10:27:23 am »
Hello "somgabor",

Thank you so much for your clear explanation!
I assume, the board will understand we did not really intend to discuss prices here, but that we came closely along by explaining the sence of a mere number in a catalog.
So, indirectly some indicator of rarity all the same.
No, no, I did not expect it to be a nearly unicum, but the number 95 pleases me though  ;) !
All my sympathy!

Offline somgabor

• Praetorian
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2022, 01:54:05 pm »
Hello "somgabor",

Thank you so much for your clear explanation!
I assume, the board will understand we did not really intend to discuss prices here, but that we came closely along by explaining the sence of a mere number in a catalog.
So, indirectly some indicator of rarity all the same.
No, no, I did not expect it to be a nearly unicum, but the number 95 pleases me though  ;) !
All my sympathy!

Yes, the rarity 95 is good, the most common denars have rarity 4 or 5 in Unger, or a common gold forint has 250 already.
I hope it's not problem if we talked about the Unger catalog's relative price-rarity indicator. Mainly because it's highly relative.

Anyway if I can help you in some Hungarian coin related question just write me.

regards, Gabor

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2022, 09:52:31 am »
Sorry for the late reply.

It is not a problem to discuss prices listed in references. As you noted, these are a useful indicator of rarity and most collectors know they are not actual current values (but it might be helpful to mention that when posting them).

My issue with discussing prices is that the valuations given are often far from accurate, usually low. It often ends up with a race to the bottom with someone essentially bragging how little they paid - sometimes in Bulgaria, or in 1997, or on an eBay auction with a once in a lifetime price, and they don't mention those things. I price coins in our shop for our consignors by comparing with what is on the market now and with recently closed auctions; not with 1997, not with prices in Bulgaria, and not with eBay listings.  It is not helpful for my sales when people believe that a coin I am selling for $80 should be $40 because someone said so.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Online quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2022, 02:31:56 pm »
Dear Everybody.
The catalog compiled by Iván Rengjeo (not Renjeo!) for Slavonian Ban denarii is much more detailed and reliable than this chapter by Unger (EH). I would rather recommend it if someone wants to deal with them.
R-L, by the way, comes from Rex Ladislaus.

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2022, 07:15:51 pm »
The Mimica catalog follows Rengjeo and is another resource for these coins. Stkp

Offline Jan P

• Caesar
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2023, 09:00:15 am »
Hey! Today I found, such a specimen was sold at this forum  :o :

Online quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2023, 02:26:57 am »
Great 🤗👍

Joe/Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

All coins are guaranteed for eternity