Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Denarii of Marcus Aurelius with draped bust  (Read 892 times)

Offline timka

• Caesar
Denarii of Marcus Aurelius with draped bust
« on: May 15, 2015, 12:43:11 pm »
Hi!

I would like to share with you two interesting denarii of Marcus Aurelius - both are with a draped bust:

Ob: M ANTONINUS AVG ARM PARTH MAX - draped bust/head right, laur.
Rev: TR P XXII IMP IIII COS III/Providentia
19mm - 3,12 g - 180'

Cohen, as well as RSC, have only a bare bust of this type (#890). RD and BM do not include a draped variant too. I cannot check with RIC, as exactly the pages 227 and 228 with TR P XXII are missing in the scanned variant I have access to...so I cannot see if RIC recorded this draped variant. Could you pls let me know if it is in RIC, if you have the actual book around?

Ob: AVRELIUS CAESAER AVG PII FIL - draped bust/head right
Rev: TR POT VII/Genius
18mm - 2,85 g - 180'

RIC 458 mentions only a bare bust. Cohen 661 is the same. BM does not have the variant of RIC 458 with draped bust. Only RSC has 661b that records this variant with draped bust. Most probably it refers to a specimen in Sofia that could derive from the RD hoard (which included 1 specimen of Cohen 661 with draped bust vs. 72 (!) bare ones, according to RD). So, I suppose it is a rare enough variant that was omitted by Cohen and RIC.  

thank you for your time,

Z.

Offline Phillipe C

• Praetorian
Re: Denarii of Marcus Aurelius with draped bust
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 03:07:29 pm »
Very Nice Iv 40 Silver of this emperor +++

Eduard

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 02:50:18 am »
Hello timka,
This thread may be of interest. It describes a similar denarius with the draped bust of Marcus Aurelius and with the TR POT VII reverse.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=53709.msg332980#msg332980

Regards,

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 07:53:15 am »
Hi Eduard,

Thank you sharing the earlier discussion about one of the coins I posted here! Both (yours and mine) belong to the same issue, although they have different ob/rev dies. The drapery looks great at your coin – I like it very much. Your coin looks like those in the British Museum collection ;), given such dark and solid patina. It looks totally authentic for me, just slightly weak mint on rev. Really nice coin – all details of the portrait are there. 

thanks!

z.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity