Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: featherz 4/11  (Read 2246 times)

Offline featherz

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • All Elagabalus provincials to me, please! :)
    • Aeqvitas.com
featherz 4/11
« on: April 11, 2003, 09:53:36 am »
One of the few LRBC's I have that didn't come out of an uncleaned lot way back in the beginning. :)

Constantine I --Æ Brockage Follis (2.97 gm). Ticinum or Siscia mint. CONSTAN-TINVS AVG, laureate head right / Incuse of obverse.

(I use CNG's pic with permission as mine was awful for some reason! :))

Jericho

Re:featherz 4/11
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2003, 11:58:26 am »
I know it's been explained before, but could you tell me exactly how a brokage is made?  I think I know, but I'm not 100% certain.

Thanks!
Roger

Offline featherz

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • All Elagabalus provincials to me, please! :)
    • Aeqvitas.com
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2003, 01:21:51 pm »
It happens when a coin gets stuck in the die and impresses a mirror image on the next coin so the coin ends up with two matching but mirror image 'sides'.. I'm sure there's a much better explanation hiding out there somewhere, but that's the gist of it. I also have an Elagabalus brockage:

Here is the explanation from 'coin world':
If a newly struck coin sticks to the surface of one of the dies, it acts as a die itself - called a die cap - and produces images on succeeding coins. The image produced by any die is the direct opposite on a coin, and brockages are no different. Since the image is raised on the coin adhering to the die, the image on the brockage is incused and reversed - a true mirror image.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2003, 01:57:16 pm »
If they heated the flans to soften them before striking (which would make sense), and the stuck flan had time to cool, it would have hardened - the act of striking would itself harden them metal, then it would get harder again as it cooled - this would explain the depth of the reverse image. I've never handled one but those two of yours look quite well struck on the reverse.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

All coins are guaranteed for eternity