Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: 2016 Resolutions  (Read 6770 times)

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
2016 Resolutions
« on: January 04, 2016, 01:05:28 am »
I was looking at an old Forum thread from early 2014 on Numismatic Resolutions.  I'm pleased that I kept to several of the resolutions that I set that January.  So, with equal good intentions, here are my resolutions for 2016:

1.   Strongly consider selling certain stagnant segments of my coin collection and non-numismatic hobby assets.  In the coin realm, I have several trays of 4th century Roman Imperial coins and English hammered silver that I’ve not added to in over a year, and I have bought very few Greek coins in the past year. There is no shame in admitting that certain areas/hobbies are no longer of consuming interest, and the proceeds from the sale of these coins/items could finance several high-quality acquisitions in my current focus area of Roman Republican coins.  My nature is to buy, not sell; so this may be hard for me.

2.   Focus on “balancing” my growing collection of Roman Republican coins.  I tend to think of my collection in "blocks".  Right now, I feel overweight in anonymous bronze and moneyer denarii.  It’s quite easy to get overweight in moneyer denarii, as good quality material is almost always available.  For balance, I think I need to focus some buying power on pre-denarius silver (i.e. didrachms/quadrigati), early denarii (anonymous and symbol), “moneyer” bronzes and silver fractions.  I cannot be too strict in this approach, because the availability of good-quality material dictates what I’ll likely add.  I just try to pay attention to the lightweight blocks and buy good stuff in those areas as available.

3.   Despite resolution #2 (which is intended merely as a guide), don’t shop for coins using a “want list”.  I’ve never had good luck building a quality collection with a “want list”.  A want list causes me to miss “off-list” market opportunities.  Want lists are good for more advanced collections with very few holes.

4.   Acquire the old auction catalogues on my “short list”.  This is in marked contrast to one of my 2014 resolutions, which was to stop buying numismatic books and read the books that I currently owned; but one doesn’t really “read” an old auction catalogue.  Old auction catalogues are for browsing and research. 

What are your numismatic resolutions for the New Year?

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Re: 2016 Resolutions
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 11:17:39 am »
Those are great goals, Michael.

Here are mine:

1. Finish Potamikon (It should be sent to the publisher in the next few months, we're finishing the last mints now).

2. Start acquiring some nice silver MFBs. 

3. Continue adding to my library

4. Update my Forvm gallery man-faced bull coins/ add new acquisitions.

5. Consign all duplicates and some others to Forvm.

Online Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 11:57:16 am »
I really like number 5.  Thanks Molinari!

I hope that all of our most active members make a resolution to support Forum Ancient Coins in 2016.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 12:10:22 pm »
I really like number 5.  Thanks Molinari!

I hope that all of our most active members make a resolution to support Forum Ancient Coins in 2016.

I consigned my first coin last year and was pleasantly surprised when it sold for my asking price, and rather quickly.  I certainly wouldn't have made as much on eBay.  Michael, you should consider Forvm for the coins you decide to sell.

Hopefully this summer when I have a little more time on my hands I'll send a large group.

Offline Jordan Montgomery

• Consul
    • Gallery of my Roman Republican coin collection
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 01:25:35 pm »
1. Continue selling/trading off my non-RR coins. Except for a handful of examples that are special to me I plan to sell off everything in my collection that isn't related to the Roman Republic.

2. Add at least one pre-denarius silver coin to my collection and one cast bronze.

3. Read at least 50 papers on numismatics, take notes and try to understand them and become a more-informed collector. I recently learned that even though I graduated 2.5 years ago, I still have full JSTOR access through my university so that will be very helpful. I also recently picked up Essays Hersh but haven't had time to really dig into it yet.

4. Buy only gVF or better examples of common types if at all possible. It's usually not possible with bronze, at least not in my price range, but for the more common silver types I am going to do my best to buy fewer but better coins.

5. Add at least 5 new auction catalogs to the library(likely important ones like Leu's Leo Benz sale) and add at least 3 new reference books(probably Essays Russo, the RBW Collection and Sydenham).

I think these are all reasonable and possible, given what I accomplished in 2015 as well as hopefully having a bit more discretionary income. I think I'm going to print this list out and hang it on the wall near my desk to try and keep myself on track and accountable.
Gallery of my collection with notes and discussion of Republican history and numismatics

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 01:26:47 pm »
I really like number 5.  Thanks Molinari!

I consigned my first coin last year and was pleasantly surprised when it sold for my asking price, and rather quickly.  I certainly wouldn't have made as much on eBay.  Michael, you should certainly consider Forvm for the coins you decide to sell.

Yes, I will certainly consider Forum when I'm ready to sell. I also have some duplicate old (pre-1970) auction catalogues that I may list in members' auctions one of these days.  Joe gave me permission to do so months ago (books aren't ordinarily allowed) and I dropped the ball!

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 01:37:19 pm »
I think these are all reasonable and possible, given what I accomplished in 2015 as well as hopefully having a bit more discretionary income. I think I'm going to print this list out and hang it on the wall near my desk to try and keep myself on track and accountable.

That's a great list of resolutions. In fact, #1 and 2 on your list correspond closely with #1 and 2 on my list!   If money is tight, you could probably hold-off a year or two on Sydenham; Essays Russo and the RBW Collection book are much more important and, of course, current.

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 05:13:52 pm »
Finish and publish my book.  I have been working on a book on late Roman coinage since late 2009.  I hope to be done this year.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline carthago

• Caesar
  • Nervos belli, pecuniam
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 12:24:38 am »
Quote from: Carausius on January 04, 2016, 01:05:28 am
I was looking at an old Forum thread from early 2014 on Numismatic Resolutions.  I'm pleased that I kept to several of the resolutions that I set that January.  So, with equal good intentions, here are my resolutions for 2016:

1.   Strongly consider selling certain stagnant segments of my coin collection and non-numismatic hobby assets.  In the coin realm, I have several trays of 4th century Roman Imperial coins and English hammered silver that I’ve not added to in over a year, and I have bought very few Greek coins in the past year. There is no shame in admitting that certain areas/hobbies are no longer of consuming interest, and the proceeds from the sale of these coins/items could finance several high-quality acquisitions in my current focus area of Roman Republican coins.  My nature is to buy, not sell; so this may be hard for me.

2.   Focus on “balancing” my growing collection of Roman Republican coins.  I tend to think of my collection in "blocks".  Right now, I feel overweight in anonymous bronze and moneyer denarii.  It’s quite easy to get overweight in moneyer denarii, as good quality material is almost always available.  For balance, I think I need to focus some buying power on pre-denarius silver (i.e. didrachms/quadrigati), early denarii (anonymous and symbol), “moneyer” bronzes and silver fractions.  I cannot be too strict in this approach, because the availability of good-quality material dictates what I’ll likely add.  I just try to pay attention to the lightweight blocks and buy good stuff in those areas as available.

3.   Despite resolution #2 (which is intended merely as a guide), don’t shop for coins using a “want list”.  I’ve never had good luck building a quality collection with a “want list”.  A want list causes me to miss “off-list” market opportunities.  Want lists are good for more advanced collections with very few holes.

4.   Acquire the old auction catalogues on my “short list”.  This is in marked contrast to one of my 2014 resolutions, which was to stop buying numismatic books and read the books that I currently owned; but one doesn’t really “read” an old auction catalogue.  Old auction catalogues are for browsing and research. 

This reminds me of my list last year (or was it the year before?).  I accomplished a lot last year.  Here are mine for this year.

1. Digitize and organize my old auction plates to improve my research efficiency.

2. Get my key catalogues that are in poor condition rebound.  I started this, but haven't carried through like I need to.  I know you've done really well in this area Carausius.

3. Get more bookshelf space...somewhere in my house...that my wife will let me have.  This may require a new house.  :/

4. Go to the ANS again for a few days of research.  I'm going to have 1 day next week while at NYINC, but that ain't enough for the year!

5. Buy more pretty coins as the budget Gods may allow. 

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2016, 07:07:08 am »
Quote from: carthago on January 05, 2016, 12:24:38 am

1. Digitize and organize my old auction plates to improve my research efficiency.

This is interesting. What are your plans?  Something fully-organized like Banti, or less organized like University of Heidelberg?

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2016, 07:11:34 am »
Finish and publish my book.  I have been working on a book on late Roman coinage since late 2009.  I hope to be done this year.

Shawn

I'm happy to hear you are writing a book, Shawn.  I enjoy reading your post so much so I can't wait to read it.

Offline carthago

• Caesar
  • Nervos belli, pecuniam
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2016, 10:10:26 am »
Quote from: Carausius on January 05, 2016, 07:07:08 am

This is interesting. What are your plans?  Something fully-organized like Banti, or less organized like University of Heidelberg?

More like the Trade School of Carthago

Right now, I'm just scanning the RR plates and organizing them by auction house.

Offline Tacitus

• Caesar
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2016, 06:39:25 pm »
1. Win the powerball this weekend ($750,000,000)
2. Purchase all the Tacitus coins for sale
3. Relax in Savannah GA, Colorado and elsewhere....
4. Fund many charities

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2016, 07:37:41 pm »
Quote from: Tacitus on January 07, 2016, 06:39:25 pm
1. Win the powerball this weekend ($750,000,000)
2. Purchase all the Tacitus coins for sale
3. Relax in Savannah GA, Colorado and elsewhere....
4. Fund many charities

New Year's Resolutions typically require that we have some level of CONTROL over the result.  ;)

Offline Jschulze

• Caesar
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2016, 07:42:17 pm »
Haha, Tacitus I think you may have some competition for that Powerball lottery win! I have become convinced that after a rough 2015, luck is with me!

As for me:
1. Part with many duplicate and rough coins to fund the acquisition of fewer but nicer coins available here on Forvm. It's tough because I like to buy but not so much sell... especially taking the time to sell LBRs that may gain me only a few dollars each. I may as well keep them right?!
2. Books! There are so many amazing internet resources but nothing beats the wealth of information in a great book.
3. Focus - My collection is pretty wide-ranging and I'd like to narrow in an one or a couple more specific areas.
4. Photography - I can squeeze some ok looking photos out of my iPhone but after seeing some other member's amazing photography... I'd like to have nice photographs of all of my coins and start a gallery here on Forvm.

Happy New Year all! May the coin gods be favorable to you all.

Josh

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2016, 08:59:56 am »
Finish and publish my book.  I have been working on a book on late Roman coinage since late 2009.  I hope to be done this year.

Shawn

good luck  +++
All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2016, 04:09:13 pm »
Quote from: Carausius on January 04, 2016, 01:05:28 am
I was looking at an old Forum thread from early 2014 on Numismatic Resolutions.  I'm pleased that I kept to several of the resolutions that I set that January.  So, with equal good intentions, here are my resolutions for 2016:

1.   Strongly consider selling certain stagnant segments of my coin collection and non-numismatic hobby assets.  In the coin realm, I have several trays of 4th century Roman Imperial coins and English hammered silver that I’ve not added to in over a year, and I have bought very few Greek coins in the past year. There is no shame in admitting that certain areas/hobbies are no longer of consuming interest, and the proceeds from the sale of these coins/items could finance several high-quality acquisitions in my current focus area of Roman Republican coins.  My nature is to buy, not sell; so this may be hard for me.

2.   Focus on “balancing” my growing collection of Roman Republican coins.  I tend to think of my collection in "blocks".  Right now, I feel overweight in anonymous bronze and moneyer denarii.  It’s quite easy to get overweight in moneyer denarii, as good quality material is almost always available.  For balance, I think I need to focus some buying power on pre-denarius silver (i.e. didrachms/quadrigati), early denarii (anonymous and symbol), “moneyer” bronzes and silver fractions.  I cannot be too strict in this approach, because the availability of good-quality material dictates what I’ll likely add.  I just try to pay attention to the lightweight blocks and buy good stuff in those areas as available.

3.   Despite resolution #2 (which is intended merely as a guide), don’t shop for coins using a “want list”.  I’ve never had good luck building a quality collection with a “want list”.  A want list causes me to miss “off-list” market opportunities.  Want lists are good for more advanced collections with very few holes.

4.   Acquire the old auction catalogues on my “short list”.  This is in marked contrast to one of my 2014 resolutions, which was to stop buying numismatic books and read the books that I currently owned; but one doesn’t really “read” an old auction catalogue.  Old auction catalogues are for browsing and research.  

I'm taking stock of my 2016 resolutions while waiting for my son to finish swim practice.  I'm pleased to say I satisfied  every one of my 2016 resolutions to a large extent.  More detail below.

Resolution #1:  FORVM Ancient Coins did a great job with my consignments of English hammered silver and Greek coins this year.  Only one of my coins remains in FORVM stock, this affordable Lokri Opuntii stater:  https://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?rrd=1&vpar=3048&pos=0
In addition, I have listed for sale some non-numismatic collectibles.  All proceeds are going into Roman Republican coins.

Resolution #2: I made good progress on my collection this year, and finished the year with a nice quadrigatus (Cr. 29)  and an early anonymous denarius (Cr. 53/2). Also an attractive Aes Grave As with pre-1970 provenance was acquired. Finally, I bought several AR quinarii at the 2016 NYINC, though one or two could be upgraded.

Resolution #3: I've generally stuck to this plan. Most of my acquisitions were coins that struck my fancy first, and also happened to fit my collection needs.

Resolution #4: I acquired several missing key catalogues and books at the RBW library auction in January. I am only missing 2 or 3 key catalogues at this time.  

Time to start framing my numismatic resolutions for 2017.

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2016, 04:53:52 pm »
Those are great goals, Michael.

Here are mine:

1. Finish Potamikon (It should be sent to the publisher in the next few months, we're finishing the last mints now).

2. Start acquiring some nice silver MFBs.  

3. Continue adding to my library.  

4. Update my Forvm gallery man-faced bull coins/ add new acquisitions.

5. Consign all duplicates and some others to Forvm.

Good call, Michael.  Glad you met your resolutions.

1. DONE :)

2.  Managed to get one in under the wire.  I'll blame expenses associated with #1 for not getting more.

3. Got a few but not enough.  I did however receive many important works via ILL and made lots of scans,  so that counts for something.

4. Barely, and the new pics look awful.  I need to get this photo thing down.

5.  I sent a batch recently but certainly not all my duplicates.  It is hard to part with coins.  I'm on the fence about sending Joe nearly everything but my MFBs and AES Grave As.

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2016, 05:07:04 pm »
Well, number 1 on your list was a big one, Nick, so we'll give you some slack on  2-5!

Offline Jordan Montgomery

• Consul
    • Gallery of my Roman Republican coin collection
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2016, 07:34:41 pm »
1. Continue selling/trading off my non-RR coins. Except for a handful of examples that are special to me I plan to sell off everything in my collection that isn't related to the Roman Republic.

2. Add at least one pre-denarius silver coin to my collection and one cast bronze.

3. Read at least 50 papers on numismatics, take notes and try to understand them and become a more-informed collector. I recently learned that even though I graduated 2.5 years ago, I still have full JSTOR access through my university so that will be very helpful. I also recently picked up Essays Hersh but haven't had time to really dig into it yet.

4. Buy only gVF or better examples of common types if at all possible. It's usually not possible with bronze, at least not in my price range, but for the more common silver types I am going to do my best to buy fewer but better coins.

5. Add at least 5 new auction catalogs to the library(likely important ones like Leu's Leo Benz sale) and add at least 3 new reference books(probably Essays Russo, the RBW Collection and Sydenham).

1. Mostly done. What's left are largely coins I'll have to sell as a group lot at some point.

2. Unfortunately didn't complete either part of this. My budget is simply too small for me to add examples in this category I can be proud of. One of these days.

3. Done.

4. Mostly done. I feel like I did a good job of increasing quality standards this year where I could afford to. I've also tried to become more patient and not buy coins I simply can't afford to buy decent examples of yet (see point 1).

5. Done. Just this month I added some important catalogues: Nicolas, Benz, NFA XXVII. I'm getting close to finishing McCabes top 10 list for auction catalogs and I've got most of the major references and newer important works on RR coinage but I've still got a few more like Essays Russo to go.
Gallery of my collection with notes and discussion of Republican history and numismatics

Offline carthago

• Caesar
  • Nervos belli, pecuniam
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2016, 10:53:35 pm »

This reminds me of my list last year (or was it the year before?).  I accomplished a lot last year.  Here are mine for this year. 

2. Get my key catalogues that are in poor condition rebound.  I started this, but haven't carried through like I need to.  I know you've done really well in this area Carausius.

3. Get more bookshelf space...somewhere in my house...that my wife will let me have.  This may require a new house.  :/

4. Go to the ANS again for a few days of research.  I'm going to have 1 day next week while at NYINC, but that ain't enough for the year!

5. Buy more pretty coins as the budget Gods may allow. 

[/quote]

1.  Great progress.  Much of my best plated catalogues are scanned and organized.
2.  Got a few bound.  They are beautiful but need to do more.  My 4 volumes of d'Ailly come to mind. 
3.  Nope.  Stuff is begining to get stacked on the floor in boxes.
4. Yep.  Spent 3 full days in the Summer at the ANS researching and scanning for my digital archive.
5. Oh yeah.  Done. 

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2016, 11:18:01 pm »
Glad to see everyone's made progress on this year's goals. I may very well plagiarize some of Jordan's and Carthago's 2016 resolutions for my 2017 list.  I particularly like Jordan's #3 (read 50 numismatic papers) and Carthago's #1(plate scanning) and #3 (bookshelves). 

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2016, 01:28:59 pm »

Shawn

Well, book has been finished for a couple of months.  Still getting some feedback and editing suggestions from a few readers.

No publisher yet.  I have sent it to a couple of prospective publishers and will be sending it to a few more after the holidays.

If no luck in a few months I will do it via print-to-order.

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity