Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help needed for Gordian III  (Read 1423 times)

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Help needed for Gordian III
« on: March 06, 2021, 09:24:41 am »
Dear friends of Gordian III!

This is the obverse of a coin whose reverse is from Nicopolis ad Istrum, but which shows Gordian III, who never has minted such a coin in Nicopolis. I read as legend AV [...]ON - GORDIANOC [...], but am very unsure about the parts in square brackets.
Does anyone know this obverse? What could the legend be in full? Where could it have been struck?

With thanks in advance
Jochen

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Help needed for Gordian III
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2021, 10:53:24 am »
... This is the obverse of a coin whose reverse is from Nicopolis ad Istrum, but which shows Gordian III, who never has minted coins in Nicopolis. ...
I'm a bit confused, RPC online shows quite a lot of coins by Gordian III from Nicopolis ad Istrum  :-\: https://tinyurl.com/2puytsxz

Perhaps you can show us the reverse and give us weight and size.

Regards

Altamura

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2021, 11:38:25 am »
Sorry, I meant such a coin with such a head. That is why I suspected that it was a hybrid.

What interests me is the legend. Do you have an idea? Here is the rev.

Jochen

Offline Mark Fox

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2021, 11:48:15 am »
Dear Jochen, Altamura, and Board,

The coin's obverse looks very similar (if not die identical) to several of the specimens listed for this related type on RPC Online:

https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/type/28930

I have not looked for possible die matches with other cities yet, but hope this helps a little.

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2021, 11:53:18 am »
Thank you, Altamura and  Mark. Yes, AV K M ANT as obv. legend makes sense. I have overlooked this type.

Jochen

Offline leseullunique

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2021, 01:07:36 pm »
I'm sorry dear Jochen to tell you it's a fake, here is my own specimen exactly identical,

All coins are guaranteed for eternity