Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Caracalla denarius with M AVR ANTONINVS AVG??  (Read 6053 times)

Offline silvernut

• Caesar
Caracalla denarius with M AVR ANTONINVS AVG??
« on: January 28, 2010, 06:27:41 pm »
This coin below was sold today on eBay. I didn't bid on it basically because I forgot to... From the pictures, it appears official, and the seller was a well known dealer. However, the obverse legend seems unknown to RIC (and to me, of course). What could it be, an ancient counterfeit, or a new type?

Laureate, draped bust right
M AVR ANTONINVS AVG
FIDES PVBLICA
Fides standing right.
2,6gr; 16mm

It was mistakenly identified as RIC 24a, C82.

Regards,
Ignasi

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Caracalla denarius with M AVR ANTONINVS AVG??
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 08:47:39 pm »
Yes, what a surprise: a new obverse legend on denarii of Caracalla at Rome!

This legend first appeared with the reverse type IVSTITIA, also a new type on denarii at Rome, on a specimen I showed Forvm in June 2008, in the thread Caracalla's IVSTITIA type at Rome, now in Classical Numismatics. I show that denarius again below.

And now the same obverse legend, the bust apparently draped only rather than draped and cuirassed, has appeared with reverse FIDES PVBLICA on the piece Ignasi points out, sold by Lanz today on eBay, which I was also able to acquire for my collection.
Curtis Clay

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 10:08:07 pm »
Caracalla, on his denarii, started as

1. M AVR ANTONINVS CAES,

when Septimius appointed him Caesar in place of Albinus in c. Nov. 195.

Then he became

2. M AVR ANTON CAES PONTIF

in Spring 197, when he was elected Pontifex and member of the other major priestly colleges, and when he also was voted the titles Princeps Iuventutis and Destinatus Imperator, which appear in two reverse types that were struck with this new PONTIF obverse legend.

When Septimius captured the Parthian capital Ctesiphon on c. 28 January 198, the hundredth anniversary of the accession of another Parthian conquerer, Trajan, he elevated Caracalla to the position of co-emperor and made Geta Caesar. Caracalla's obverve legend on denarii now became

3. IMP CAE M AVR ANT AVG P TR P.

The P stands for Pontifex; IMP and AVG and TR P are his new titles as joint emperor.

On 10 Dec. 198, Caracalla became TR P II, rendering obv. legend 3 obsolete. His obv. legend on denarii was therefore now changed to

4. IMP CAES M AVR ANTON AVG,

omitting TR P and P(ontifex).

One of the rev. types introduced with the new obv. legend was IVVENTA IMPERII, Caracalla in military dress holding a Victory above a seated Parthian captive; and this same type was also struck with a dated reverse legend, PONTIFEX TR P II. However, both versions of this type, with the descriptive legend and the dated legend, also appear on rare mint mules in combination with the old obv. legend

3. IMP CAE M AVR ANT AVG P TR P,

producing, in the dated version, a denarius with "Pontifex" on both sides and with TR P on the obv. contradicted by TR P II on the reverse! These mules confirm that the TR P obv. legend lasted right up to 10 Dec. 198 and that the IVVENTA IMPERII rev. type, with TR P II in its dated version, was introduced immediately thereafter. If the TR P legend had ended earlier, or if the IVVENTA IMPERII had been introduced later, the mules, implying near contemporaneity of the types concerned, would have been unlikey to occur.

The new obv. legend (4) without TR P cannot have lasted more than a couple of months into 199, for it is quite scarce on the denarii, being represented by only 24 coins with five different rev. types in the Reka Devnia hoard. So it must have been in Spring 199 or before that the mint introduced a simpler obv. legend for Caracalla,

5. ANTONINVS AVGVSTVS.

Around 100 denarii in the Reka Devnia hoard with this new obv. legend and seven rev. types can be certainly or plausibly assigned to the rest of 199, suggesting that the change to the new obv. legend occurred about one fifth of the way through the year's production of denarii, so perhaps c. March 199.

Curtis Clay

Offline silvernut

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 03:50:48 am »
Well, I 'm VERY happy it was you who got it, as I was mad at myself for having missed to bid on it!!! And it is now great to know its whereabouts. It is true that you showed this same legend on the IVSTITIA thread (which I have printed and filed in one of my folders). I just didn't remember yesterday to check it, as it was already very late here in Spain.

A very interesting surprise of a denarius!

Regards,
Ignasi

Offline septimus

• Consul
    • Monnaies de Septime Sévère et sa famille (193-217)
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 07:35:20 am »
What a discovery!
Congratulations Curtis!!!

Offline silvernut

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 08:12:54 am »
So when would you date the new legend M AVR ANTONINVS AVG? I would assume it was an extremely short lived obverse legend minted for just a few reverse types (IVSTITIA and FIDES PVBLICA, so far). As both these types with the well-known obverse legends date from 198AD, would it be fair to include the new types within that year? In fact, the rare RIC 17 of 198AD, if I'm not mistaken, has the similar legend M AVRELIVS ANTON AVG...

I know it may be just academic, but I need to place them in my RIC somewhere!!

Regards,
Ignasi

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 06:26:24 pm »
The sequence of previously known obverse legends for Caracalla from 195-9 on denarii at the mint of Rome, then, was:

1. M AVR ANTONINVS CAES, c. Nov. 195

2. M AVR ANTON CAES PONTIF, Spring 197

3. IMP CAE M AVR ANT AVG P TR P, c. Feb. 198

4. IMP CAES M AVR ANTON AVG, 10 Dec. 198

5. ANTONINVS AVGVSTVS, c. March 199.

Assuming that the new legend,

M AVR ANTONINVS AVG,

was not just an unusual contemporaneous variant of legend 3 or legend 4, but was Caracalla's standard obverse legend for a short time and fits in the above sequence, I am inclined to place it between legends 3 and 4, beginning on 10 Dec. 198 and pushing the introduction of legend 4 to a few weeks after that date.

The evidence comes from the two reverse types.

The only other known occurrence of the IVSTITIA type at Rome around this time is on the unique sestertius in BM, which has the longer sestertius version of legend 4, with ANTONINVS instead of ANTON. This seems to date the use of this type at Rome to late 198-early 199, though surprisingly it was used EARLIER on Caracalla's new-style Eastern denarii, so apparently Rome copied it from that mint, rather than vice versa as usual. Usually it was ROME that initiated a type, and the Eastern mint then copied the type from Rome.

FIDES PVBLICA was a type of EARLY 198, first appearing for Caracalla still as CAES PONTIF (7 spec. in Reka Devnia), then for him as Augustus with legend 3 (31 spec. in the hoard). The type only barely made it to the end of the year: it does occur with obv. legend 4, but is very rare with that legend (RIC 19, citing Atti e memorie 1925. Wrongly made Eastern in the 2nd ed. of BMC, p, 284: I have a specimen, and it is mint of Rome). FIDES PVBLICA is therefore explicable in combination with the new obv. legend if we place that legend in Dec. 198, between legends 3 and 4, but seems out of place if we date the new legend to c. March 199, between legends 4 and 5. By that time the FIDES PVBLICA type had apparently been out of use for several months.

Briefly to consider the other two possibilities for the placement of the new obv. legend:

(1) Between legends 2 and 3, as Caracalla's first obv. legend as Augustus at Rome? That dating fits very well with the FIDES PVBLICA rev. type, which was certainly current just when Caracalla was promoted from Caesar to Augustus. However, the IVSTITIA type causes difficulties: the BM sestertius seems to date its use at Rome to almost a year later, after 10 Dec. 198 or early in 199. Nor would this early dating at Rome mean that the Eastern mint might then have copied this type from Rome, since on new-style denarii the IVSTITIA type occurs combined with an original obv. legend of Caracalla that the mint clearly invented to record Caracalla's promotion to Augustus, before it could know of the legend Rome would choose when the news from Mesopotamia reached Italy a month or so later. Moreover, it seems probable that Caracalla's first obv. legend as Augustus at Rome would include ALL of his new titles, IMP and TR P as well as AVG, so legend 3, which does include them all, should precede the new legend, which omits IMP and TR P.

(2) Could the new legend

M AVR ANTONINVS AVG have been used in c. March 199, between

4. IMP CAES M AVR ANTON AVG and

5. ANTONINVS AVGVSTVS?

This would seem the logical order if we assume increasing contraction: legend 4 omits P and TR P, the new legend then omits IMP CAES, and finally legend 5 omits M AVR too. However, March 199 seems too late for the FIDES PVBLICA rev. type, as already noted above. Moreover, we know that the rev. type SECVRIT ORBIS was in use when obv. legend 5 superseded obv. legend 4, since this type passes from legend 4 (8 spec. in RD hoard) to legend 5 (probably 4 spec. in the hoard). So if the new obv. legend intervened between legends 4 and 5, SECVRIT ORBIS is the rev. type we would expect it to occur with, not FIDES PVBLICA and IVSTITIA!

As to the aureus of Caracalla and Geta that Ignasi mentions, RIC 17, with a Caracalla legend very similar to the new denarius legend , namely

M AVRELIVS ANTON AVG (see image below):

it cannot be of 198, since it shows Geta's second obv. legend as Caesar,

P SEPT GETA CAES PONT, not his first legend,

L SEPTIMIVS GETA CAES.

It is unclear to me exactly when this change of Geta's obverse legend took place: whether by end 198, in which case the aureus could be contemporaneous with the new denarii, or only later, in which case the obv. legend of the new denarii was revived somewhat later, and somewhat differently abbreviated, for the aureus.
Curtis Clay

Offline Chut

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 05:26:09 pm »
A beautiful discovery !
Congratulations !! And thank you for the information Mr Clay !!

:D

Offline Aeneas

• Consul
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 07:45:52 am »
An old topic but very interesting nevertheless!

A few months ago, to following coin appeared on auction sharing the same obverse but a different reverse die as the coin showed by Curtis!

David

Offline Aeneas

• Consul
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2015, 07:45:56 am »
An old topic but very interesting nevertheless!

A few months ago, the following coin appeared on auction sharing the same obverse but a different reverse die as the coin showed by Curtis!

David

All coins are guaranteed for eternity