Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: What is the significance of the X between Gaius and Lucius?  (Read 851 times)

Offline Nemonater

• Caesar
What is the significance of the X between Gaius and Lucius?
« on: March 23, 2017, 05:25:46 pm »
I recently added a scarcer denarius of Augustus to my gallery.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-135904

RIC 211 also has the X
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-104882

The more common RIC 207 lacks the X
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-90045

The only explanation I could find is from a German auction listing.

Das Stück feiert, wie Reinhard Wolters nachweisen konnte, die lex Valeria Cornelia und wurde 5 n. Chr. entweder in Lug­dunum für ein stadtrömisches Publikum oder möglicherweise sogar in Rom selbst geprägt. Das Gesetz bestimmte die Einrich­tung von 10 Wahlzenturien zur Vorwahl der Konsuln und Prätoren. Das X auf dem Revers und die Wahl des Gaius/Lucius-Typs noch nach dem Tode der Enkel des Augustus erklärt sich dadurch, daß die 10 Zenturien nach Gaius und Lucius Caesares benannt wurden. Siehe zur Datierung, Deutung und Münzstätte Wolters, Gaius und Lucius Caesares als designierte Konsuln und principes iuventutis. Die lex Valeria Cornelia und RIC I² 205 ff., in: Chiron 32 (2002), S. 297 ff.

Any opinions on this?

Thanks,
Nemo

Edit: Or can someone put this into slow english?  ???

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: What is the significance of the X between Gaius and Lucius?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 06:13:09 pm »
"As Reinhard Wolters has demonstrated, this reverse type commemorates the passage of the lex Valeria Cornelia, and it was struck in 5 AD either in Lugdunum, but with inhabitants of Rome as the intended audience, or possibly even by a mint in the capital city itself. That law provided that ten elective centuries should be designated to preliminarily select consuls and praetors. Those ten centuries were named after Gaius and Lucius Caesars, which explains the X in the coin type and the selection of the Gaius and Lucius reverse type even after the deaths of the two princes. For this interpretation, dating, and mint location, see Wolters, 'Gaius and Lucius Caesars as Designated Consuls and Princes of the Youth: the lex Valeria Cornelia and RIC I, 205 ff.', Chiron 32, 2002, pp. 297 ff."

That seems a little far-fetched, but not having read the article, I have no idea how convincing Wolters' arguments are!

What do you mean by "slow" English, by the way?
Curtis Clay

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 08:12:05 pm »
I don't know for certain what he meant, but on the internet, there are daily audio news programs in "slow Spanish," "slow Italian, and "slow French" They are intended to help with learning the languages.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Nemonater

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 10:19:01 pm »
Sorry for not responding sooner, I was in a three hour meeting right after posting my question.

Curtis, thanks for the translation and opinion on Wolters' argument.

Joe is correct, the comment about slow english was a poor attempt at self deprecating humor.  English is my first language but I still need to hear things explained very slowly if I hope to understand!

Thanks again.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity