Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Macedon Artemis Tetradrachm  (Read 734 times)

Offline Minos

• Caesar
Macedon Artemis Tetradrachm
« on: February 08, 2012, 07:39:50 am »
Recently sold by an (otherwise) very reputable dealer. Several already in the fake reports. There has been quite a lot of these "under roman rule" Macedonian tet for sale these past months ??

Cayo Julio César

Re: Macedon Artemis Tetradrachm
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 02:46:20 pm »
I think genuine.

Offline Minos

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 02:57:50 pm »
Why ?

Lloyd Taylor

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 03:00:58 pm »
I think genuine.

Also published in D.Dimitrov, I.Prokopov, B. Kolev, Modern Forgeries of Greek and Roman Coins. Sofia, K&K Publishers 1997, no. 62. .... an exact match.  They don't come much more fake or better documented for what they are.... FAKE

I also note that it is one of the more common ones sold around the sites in Turkey.... very popular with the tourists it seems.

Offline Minos

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 08:17:41 am »
This coin is travelling a lot (unless there are 2 or more of the same). First pic is from a current auction, second is from another in 2009, both perfectly identical to the one opening this thread. Now, since they were sold by 3 different dealers, all quite respectable, I'm beginning to wonder if the subtle differences (details, flan shape) could mean that these 3 are the same wandering (authentic) coin.

There are however much more resemblances than differences with the known fakes. Wonder if these dies are genuine ? If the published forgeries are casts from an original coin or derived from modern dies ? Did not see any other potentially genuine coin with the same.

4to2CentBCphilia

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 10:23:28 am »
This coin is travelling a lot (unless there are 2 or more of the same). First pic is from a current auction, second is from another in 2009, both perfectly identical to the one opening this thread. Now, since they were sold by 3 different dealers, all quite respectable, I'm beginning to wonder if the subtle differences (details, flan shape) could mean that these 3 are the same wandering (authentic) coin.

There are however much more resemblances than differences with the known fakes. Wonder if these dies are genuine ? If the published forgeries are casts from an original coin or derived from modern dies ? Did not see any other potentially genuine coin with the same.

Yes, saw this in the current auction and thought it looked strangely familiar. It has attracted bidders and is already at $500. No provenance listed.

And you are correct, quite a few popping up lately.

BR

Mark

petier

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 02:31:49 pm »
this are all screaming fakes.

Offline Snegovik

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 02:38:28 pm »
this are all screaming fakes.

I need a hearing aid  :(